Should I just throw my Aqara contact sensors (MCCGQ11LM) away?

Ah yes, I see that now. Thanks for straightening me out!

1 Like

Mine have been fine (a few drop offs over the months but nothing much). I also bought the new Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 devices and to be honest have not had a completely successful time with them (also some drop offs). So my conclusion is that none of these devices work perfectly on my mesh, and the Xiaomi's are no worse than anything else.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have one of the Aqara buttons ( WXKG11LM) and - knock on wood - using Markus' driver it's been perfect, zero drops.

2 Likes

As @aaiyar wrote, nothing hangs onto those sensors better than a Xiaomi hub. If you’re not willing to add their hub (and Node-Red like he did or Home Assistant to bridge their hub to HE), or get the specific Mijia hub needed for the MiConnector app (which will never support Zigbee 3.0) then you’ll likely always fight with keeping them connected.

I’m already a multi-hub/multi-bridge kind of guy so none of that bothers me. From the first day I added an Aqara hub to my home (July 2019) and linked it back to HE, not one of the Aqara or Mijia devices have dropped from the Aqara hub. They’re fantastic devices, but they simply aren’t stable with non-Xiaomi Zigbee.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional details. It's not that I hate multiple hubs, it's that I already have seven (HEx2, ST, Lutron, Hue, & Harmonyx2) and didn't particularly want to add another if I can help it. :slight_smile:

Is this the hub? And is the control cloud-based or is this local control? Wondering if I can I use the Aqara hub if it doesn't get an internet connection, or does it require that both during and after setup?
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Wireless-Automation-Assistant-Compatible/dp/B08BZQNK4L/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3K5SW69V6QBM1&dchild=1&keywords=xiaomi+hub&qid=1610422098&sprefix=xiaomi+hub%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3

I had read in another thread that the Ikea Tradifi (sp?) repeaters can support these types of devices. But not sure if that means only if you have the hub + the Ikea repeater?

Yes.

By default cloud. However, it supports HomeKit and @SmartHomePrimer described recently how to use Home Assistant to bring these into Hubitat locally in this post:

I don't have this hub - I have two of the Mijia hubs, and I didn't need internet access to either pair the devices or use them. I would bet the Aqara hub is similar, but @SmartHomePrimer would know for sure.

Been there. Done that. They are more stable with compatible repeaters, but no where near as stable as on an Aqara/Mijia hub.

Edit: BTW, that Aqara hub is much cheaper on AliExpress

1 Like

Thanks! So are you saying that w/the Mijia hub I can have local control, but still need to use HomeKit/Home Assitant for local control, or does the Mijia hub support local control directly?

And can you point me at the Mijia hub? The one I found looks exactly the same as the Aqara hub, but w/an "M" on it rather than "Aqara." Seems odd.

1 Like

:joy: I’m at 11 now!

That’s the hub I have. I sync it back via HomeKit automations, but as @aaiyar wrote it can be done without a single Apple device.

The Aqara hub needs an internet connection initially, but you can block it afterward and it will continue to work all local. The latest Mijia Multimode Hub that supports Bluetooth mesh, Zigbee 3.0 and HomeKit (and is dirt cheap) also works, but that one will stop responding after a few days if you block its internet connection.

1 Like

With the "Mi Home Gateway", you can bring things direclty into Hubitat in two ways:

1. Using @fison67's MiConnector app (that needs to run in a Docker container), or
  2. Using node-red

Everything is local.

Here's what I have:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982555362.html

Edit - to echo what @SmartHomePrimer wrote, this gateway (which is the older model) does not support zigbee 3.0, but once it is setup in the app, you can block internet access and still add devices and use them locally.

Edit 2 - since we're comparing number of hubs .... I'm at: 8 or 9 now.

1 Like

In that form factor we have the Tuya sensors which are 100% Zigbee 3.0 compatible.

I threw out my Xiaomi, and replaced with Tuya.
Almost as inexpensive, they look as if they were made in the same factory.

They haven't fallen off my mesh yet.

3 Likes

Can you post a link? I'm having a hard time finding them. Also - standard built-in Hubitat drivers?

Thanks!

1 Like

:crazy_face: Never throw out your Xiaomi sensors people. Put them in a box and PM me. I’ll give you the address and postage to send them to me. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ahhh...I have a RPi on my IoT network already, running Docker, and have Node Red on it as well, but have never really spent any time w/NR so I'm an extreme novice at best w/that. But one of those options could be done.

But then I'd limit myself to pre-Zigbee 3.0 devices. Why can't I have everything for free!! :wink:

1 Like

Me too... @jtmpush18

Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Temperature-Humidity-Combination-packages/dp/B07NMBR1NC?th=1

1 Like
  1. Standard Hubitat Zigbee drivers - no problem.

2. It appears that Tuya (the manufacturer/designer) sells via a number of distributers of which BENEXMART is one, and Zemismart (?) is another.

3. Link to Tuya motion sensor in the Chinese area:
    Tuya ZigBee PIR Sensor IFTTT Battery Powered Smart Wireless WIFI PIR Motion Sensor Detector Home Alarm System ZigBee PIR Sensor|Sensor & Detector| - AliExpress
    or:
    Smartkk ZigBee PIR Sensor Motion Detector working with TuYa ZigBee Hub, Human Body Movement Detect, Powered by TuYa|Sensor & Detector| - AliExpress

4. Yes, that's an amazon link to a US distributer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Temperature-Humidity-Combination-packages/dp/B07NMBR1NC?th=1

I haven't had any unusual issues keeping these devices on my Zigbee mesh; the usual rules apply - if you have a good,string mesh nothing will fall off, if you have issues with your mesh things will fall off.

As mentioned previously, it appears to be the same form factor as Xiaomi. Not as inexpensive, but almost so. Zigbee 3.0 compatible.

3 Likes

EDITED below paragraph to refer to Contact sensor rather than motion sensor - typo on my part.

Thanks! So it seems that there are two Tuya contact sensors, a larger slightly oval version, and the smaller (much more desireable form factor for me) mini-contact sensor. Can you confirm that your experience is w/the smaller rectangular sensor?

Oval:

Mini:

1 Like

Confirmed.
The smaller one.

If you want to get really good, combine that with the twistable base of the Xiaomi.

Interesting. One looks like the Mijia sensor, the other looks like the Aqara sensor. I wonder how the circuits inside compare to actual Mijia and Aqara sensors.

1 Like

My impression: They are all made in the same factory!

2 Likes

Thanks...thanks for the pic of the motion sensor.

I said "motion sensor" but meant to ask about the contact sensor. My bad!

Can you confirm which contact sensor you've used? Smaller or larger?