Shelly devices not behaving well after updating to 2.3.4.114

Since the latest update (2.3.4.114), all my Shelly devices are not behaving well at all. Red error bubble says devices are generating excessive events. I have four Shelly Dimmer2 devices set to ramp up and down in Rule Machine apps, all four are generating continuous events

Scheduled events do not initiate. All the logs for each device have continuous loops of "setLevel(0, 1.0)" repeating ad-nausium.

Devices are included in Alexa skills, command "Alexa, set [XX] light to [yy] level" causes the lamp to begin illuminating only to revert off immediately. Logs show attempt to turn on, then off with the loop continuing.

Everything was working fine prior to the update.

Any thoughts questions or comments? Please advise!

Thanks in advance, I know this will get resolved.

KM

Have you considered reverting to the previous version to confirm your issues go away? Might not be a bad first diagnostic step.

2 Likes

In the past several updates I backed up before updating then had no problems, or even problems resolved. This time I was complacent and did not back up anything.

I rebooted once, went into one of the devices (child instance) and saw type was "generic component dimmer". I changed it to "Shelly dimmer", but that doesn't show any control buttons in the top of the device page, other than 'push' and 'release', which I have found no use of these. I changed it back to the generic, now it seems to be working.
Oddly, after adjusting the one device, another Shelly dimmer 2 device in the same room started behaving without my changing anything on it.

Sounds like you are on your way to working but FYI you don't need to do a restore from a backup to revert to a previous version of the platform. Though of course having a current backup is always prudent!

1 Like

Still having the same problems here, rebooted the hub multiple times, saw there was another update (2.3.4.115) in which changelog had some elements which may have been involved, but alas, things are still misbehaving. It is entirely limited to the four Shelly Dimmer2 units, two in bedside lamps, and two in living room table lamps.
The trouble occurs at a timed event in RM5.1 to slowly dim (raise) the lamps up over time triggered be sunset w/offsets.
All four of these are filling the live log continuously in the child instances with [date time] setLevel (0, 1.0) and occasionally setLevel (0, 5.0). This is the case in all four child devices.
In the parent devices, log first shows "Exception when sending: Connect to 192.168.0.xx:80 [/192.168.0.xx] failed: Network is unreachable (connect failed). Please check your device settings."
And shortly after it changes to: "ERROR Exception when sending: Connect to 192.168.0.xx:80 [/192.168.0.xx] failed: connect timed out. Please check your device settings."
When I browse to the Shelly devices by IP I get to them just fine. IP in the device pages is correct, and all IP's are reserved in the router device table.
In the shelly app by IP I can adjust the level or try to turn it on, but it does not come on - just reverts back to grayed-out off.
Alexa can turn the devices on - but only for a moment, then off they go. Same with manual switching on the lamps.

ONE OTHER possible clue: when I open the devices, especially the child devices, i see that "Enable Debug logging" has been turned off - but I didn't turn them off!! This has occurred several times.

I'm lost on this one!! These are my four main lights and they've been working great since I joined this techie family!

You can still restore to the previous version and if it's within 5 days your previous database.

Thanks @rlithgow1 , I know you have a lot of experience with the shelly devices, your input is welcome. Yes I can revert, and in fact I will now.
However, that doesn't truly address the problem. There is a pattern here - all errors are in RM5.1, all errors are from shelly devices which were working fine, and all errors are related to the ramping-up action of these dimmers. No changes to the apps or devices were made prior to the trouble manifesting. Only the platform update. I did discover the firmware in the Shelly dimmers were in need of updating, I did that but it did not help the issue.

If reversion stops the errors, that will only confirm my theory; the update is awry. I certainly don't want to be stuck in an old platform version for the rest of my days! LOL!

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out. If you roll back and restore that will ensure a clean database on the conversion to the updated platform. After you roll back, manually backup and re update to the latest platform. After that shutdown completely and powercycle (pull power from the wall not the hub for a few mins and power up). Then see if the shelly devices work normally from the device(s) page. If so then move on to diagnosing RM. In most cases for RM you can just open the rule and click done and that will ensure the rule is closed properly. (I'm just spit balling here)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.