Share your Rule Design Parameters for Better Motion Lighting inside Home

I've been watching the Hubitat Live events on youtube. And, in one of those videos, @mike.maxwell mentioned having lutron pico buttons as light 'switches' on the wall which controlled relays in the walls for all his lights throughout his house. And, he also mentioned that his use case was generally not to touch the buttons presumably because motion sensors with certain parameters handled room/light activation.

And, I suspect more advanced SH users like @bravenel might have equally 'sophisticated' logic for room lighting.

So, I would be interested in hearing about anyone's motion lighting designs where the most of the home is automated all the way down to app or rule tweaks.

This question is comes to me after studying the Motion Lighting app and all of the customizations available there and wondering how/why some of them were derived and creative ways the app and/or similar custom rules are used. Thanks!

I was thinking of something like a area for HA patterns. with curated rules to explain to me and newbies how to build a rule in an event machine.

I think my sprinkler solution for the sonoff 4ch and only allowing 1 relay to be enabled at a time was interesting and could help others in the future. I also used a mimo2+ for my garage doors that is cool..

Maybe we submit our rules and the staff corrects them and posts... :>

I'm probably over board with the number of RM4 rules I use.
For each of my main rooms in my house; for instance my Kitchen, I have a rule that is only an ACTION to turn on the lights by mode. Depending on the lights this rule will turn on different lights, possibly using color or Temperature as well as dimmer level. I also have an ACTION only rule to turn them off. I call and run these same ACTION rules from buttons, switches, schedules, and virtual switches on dashboards. This saves me a lot of repetitive input.
I have a RM4 rule for each rooms motion sensors that sets a GV for occupancy. When first tripped a counter starts with a low value to set the room back to occupied. If it gets tripped again before the count down the timer resets and after multiple trips is assigned a longer timeout, assuming the room is in use but iterations of motion will decrease. We tend to move around a lot before settling down, like dogs walking in circles before laying down. :grinning:
Finally I have a controller rule that watches the GV's and decides if the room is empty or not and calls one of my action rules to shut stuff off.
It seems like a lot, but I don't get complaints from the family of the lights not working as expected and we rarely need to touch the button controllers.
I do keep a Mii Cube handy as a Master Controller as well as a basic dashboard for the occasional fix.
There are apps to do some of this but I like to keep my setup as native as possible.

2 Likes

hmm, now that I re-read your post. This isn't what you were asking. Ohh well. I'm proud of the way my systems working so I guess I'm looking for ways to talk about it. I hope it was at least a post that gives others ideas, good or bad.

I like your concept, this is a lot like how Room Manager works, though I have disused the app, I loved the engaged state it provides.

Thank you. I have a state I call locked that is basically the same as rooms manager engaged.
I tried making this under RM2.x but just couldn't get there. When I found rooms manager I thought that would work for me but it had to many extra features and trouble shooting was rough. I was able to get almost there with RM3, and then RM4 changed everything with nested conditionals. I 'm quite happy with how things have shaped up.
I go from Active --> Occupied --> Camped for levels of activity. I also have Locked, Party, and I'm working on a Movie mode that effects adjacent rooms and lights like hall lights.

This is THE BEST TIME to be a Tech-Hobbyist.

I don't know much about Room Manager. I installed in when I was still on Smart Things, but never did anything with it. It looked complicated, and I already had things working pretty much the way I wanted using a combination of other apps -- mostly Stringify.

On HE, most of my lights are automated via RM4, Simple Lights, or Motion lights. Some of them I can turn on with switches or by asking Alexa, but I mostly just let the automation work.

In Home and Sleep modes, lights are triggered via motion sensors. At night they come on in nightlight mode. During the day I use a whiter color, and they come on -- or not -- based on the lux level. If it's gloomy, they come on at 100%. If it's bright, anywhere from 75% to 25%, or not at all. Evening mode is triggered by sunset. Some lights come on and stay on, with a warmer color than during the day. Some lights are still triggered by motion, but it may be different lights than during the day. For example, in the bedroom the ceiling lights come on during day, and the bed table lamps come on during evening. Outside lights also come on at evening.

The lights turn off when I leave, and the automation is smart enough to know when I come home if it's day or evening and set the lights accordingly.

I have a TV mode that comes on if it's after sunset and I turn on either my Apple TV or Firestick. The lights go back to normal if I turn the TV off or switch to regular cable.

I haven't done anything with the bathrooms, yet, or one bedroom that's rarely used. There's still time. :grin:

Would you mind showing the rules you've setup for one of your rooms? I'm especially interested in this:

I'm happy to do so.

1 Like

Since posting this topic, I've discovered two related posts:

1. Motion Lighting App Inconsistency
  2. Motion Lighting Configuration

And, of course, the official documentation for the app is posted here.

By the way, these two threads also have some good examples motion lighting app 'recipes.'