Motion Lighting App Inconsistency

I created an automation (a week ago) with an Iris Motion sensor and My Lutron Dimmer in the Hallway.
When motion turn on.
After 1 minute turn off.

Works great.

Today I created to exact same automation with an Iris motion sensor and my GE zwave dimmer in the bathroom.
For some reason it does not work.
If I edit the original automation and replace the sensor and light with the bathroom…it works fine…huh?
If I edit the automation I created today and put the hallway devices…nogo.

So even though they are both configured the exact same way, the automation I created a week ago works with all devices…the one I created today works with nothing.

I know this has got to be something silly but I can’t for the life of me figure it out.
BTW…all device are controllable and are reporting motion and status changes in the logs.

Please help. @bravenel any thoughts on this?

Oh…and I deleted and recreated the bathroom automation with no change in result. I don’t want to remove the hallway automation for fear of not getting anything working again.

Are you using Simple Lighting or Rule Machine? I have found Rule Machine to be much more dependable, although a little less convenient to configure.

I’m using “Motion Lighting Apps”

That’s pretty fun. I love random “does work, doesn’t work” things. :smiley: Have you tried the obvious “did you turn it off and back on again?”

I haven’t rebooted the hub. If I need to do that between every automation, this hub would be smashed before I got through half my programming.:wink:

I didn’t even realize that App existed! :slight_smile: I just created a “Motion Lighting Apps” automation using a motion sensor and it was able to turn on a light without any issue. So, at least we know it is not the newest firmware that broke the ability to create at least the first automation.

I’ll try adding a second one to see if it makes a difference…

1 Like

The only things I’ve had not work so far are devices with complicated apis and I’m a total noob when it comes to troubleshooting apis. The rules have worked fine for me, but I’ve only added a couple Button controller and Rule Machine automations.

I just created using Simple Lighting…worked fine but I like the mode options built in to Motion Lighting

I added a second one with the same results as @stephack. The first “Motion Lighting Apps” automation continues to work, even if I change the motion sensor being used as a trigger. The second automation never works. Looks like a bug for @bravenel to squash!

[UPDATE] I have removed all of the MLA automations and tried to create a new one…no joy. I removed the “Motion Lighting Apps” app, and then reinstalled it and created a simple automation…still no joy.

1 Like

I see some differences when I look at the Application State details for both child apps.

Hallway

Bathroom

What happens if you create a 3rd child? Does it echo the first or the second?

And that’s why I didn’t want to remove the original app. Had a feeling it would do something like this.

1 Like

This is all very odd. We will dig into it. I have over 25 of these in use. I cannot for see how one child app would work and the next one not. That screen shot above is also very odd, as it is showing the parent app, not the child.

Nope. I clicked in the "i" next to the child apps. There is a lot more info but the obvious differences were in the Application section that I posted.

Here's the full screenshots

Hallway - The one that works

Bathroom - Nogo

Yep, you’re right, I’m wrong. We will investigate.

Could you show me a screenshot of the app config for the one that fails?

The second screenshot above is for the bedroom and is the one that fails.

No, I mean the app when it is open for configuration, before you hit Done.