Share My Experience

I was struggling with Hubitat C5 and a RPi4 with installed Raspbian (Now Raspberry Pi OS), I also install Node red in a container on the RPi4, with other (Mosquitto ect) app which didn't work, which made the whole system feel very unstable and slow, I then looked around YouTube and found, installation for Home Assistant on a mini pc (hp g3 £50) as a generic x86-65 (Home Assistant website), once running installed node red as an add on, installed nodes for Hubitat and linked hubitat to Home Assistant as an integration to control devices, now have caldav mqtt google bridge ect ect running, so what I can't do on Hubitat I can do on either Home Assistant or Node Red, and I haven't had a crash or devices stop working in month, and no constant rebooting every week. Hope this helps you guys.
p.s
I got the hp g4 which had Bluetooth, so have switchbot devices running locally, through Home Assistant

2 Likes

I have used Node Red, Home Assistant, and the Hubitat community application to control my SwitchBot devices and my experience is that the Hubitat app is most reliable. Plus, it's the only one using latest API so only one that can control my lock. I think the Home Assistant app only uses Bluetooth. When I reached out to the developer for the Switchbot Node Red pallet, he was not aware of new API and didn't own lock so I wouldn't expect any update there.

In general I would urge people to build in options to their setup. No reflection on HE specifically, more so on the Home Automation industry in general.. There is so much change occurring amidst restrictions in supply of tech and expertise that it is inevitable that one platform cannot provide everything a consumer needs, so it makes sense to me to invest in both targeted systems like HE alongside ubiquitous platforms like rpi's and all that they offer, acknowledging there are similar options in the Windows variety or in NAS installations.

I would like to say, when I said unstable, that did include the switchbot driver that kept activating my switchbot bot which in turn, turned my bedroom and wife bedroom heater on randomly, on checking the logs there was no activation of the bots at all.

Sounds like you’ve been having a lot of issues with custom code meant to integrate with external services, developed by community members.

It might be helpful to focus on one issue at a time. Community devs are generally happy to help troubleshoot when users are having difficulty. Most of them have a thread dedicated to a driver or app they have released. For example, this one re: Switchbot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.