Shade Driver that works like a dimmer?

I have a similar situation... Bali (Somfy) Shades integrated with Google Home.
I tried the new driver and it does work really well (Thank you) but if I give Google home a command like "Turn On 1st Floor Lights", All the shades open as well so I had to revert back to the Generic Z-Wave Shade driver. I'm losing the battery level and ability to "Open at 25%" etc...
Has there been any updates on a shade driver that simply integrates better with Google Home?

Its not the driver that is the problem, it is the built in Google Home inetrgation.

If you use this integration you should be able to set it up to handle the shade properly, as an adjustable shade, so they do not turn on with the lights.

I agree with jtp10181 - The problem is in the stock GoogleHome app, and you can switch to the community version to get the capablities you need - That said, if you don't want to go that route, I can suggest one other (some messy) alternative.

Setup a vritual dimmer (VD), for each seperate physical shade, and a seperate VD for any "grouping" of shades - Then use the stock GoogleHome app, along with google routines to basically map "Open XYZ shade, or "Set xyz to 50%", map that speech (verbs) of open/close/position to On/Off/Dimmer Level of the Virtual Dimmer via routines - Get all that working as expected with the VDs. You can use whatever driver you like on the physical shade devices (to keep access to battery levels, etc), but don't expose the physical devices to the GH app, only the logical corresponding virtual dimmers

Then your going to have to use RM to pick changes on the various VDs and map that to the physical shades, mapping on/off to Open/Close for shades, and some intermediate level between 0 and 100 to "Set Position", I can share a similar rule if needed.

Finally, I added a virtual seperate switch (VS) (On/Off) named, Shade-Estop, and mapped that to a "Stop XYZ" routine in GoogleHome, which then turns, the VS-Shade-Estop on - Again, more RM where the VS is triggered which fires off a "StopShade" command. - So it's ugly, but can be done, and the GH community app is likely easier (and its definitely cleaner)

If you have alot of indivual shades to control, this can get to be a mess with alot of VDs, VSs, and RM rules - But VS and VDs are natively supported by the out-of-box GH app. - and your can effective change the "wording" to trigger these in GH with routines that fit better for shades/blinds versus dimmers/switches - You'll likely want to put these VS/VDs in a seperate "room" to avoid them being triggered with other lights

But bottom line, the Generic Z-Wave shade driver, isn't the problem and doesn't need to change, now it would be nice, if the Hubitat GoogleHome app was updated to support shades natively - Hopefull that makes a modicum of sense -gfa

1 Like

I went down the rabbit hole and integrated the Hubitat Google Home Integration for my shades and although they "work", they don't allow me to open at variable settings (such as 20%). It just shows up as a switch in the Google Home App without allowing partial settings. I've set the Preferences For Open/Close Trait "Off" for discrete only and have Open/Close Attribute to: 1-100. I feel I'm close. Any help is appreciated.