Settling down? Repairing?

After my hub auto shutdown (and then was operating slowly and I had slow motion triggered lights), I decided to start removing my changes as I hadnā€™t made backups before each change the previous day.

After removing custom code and devices, deleting Sonos (because I wondered whether 13 zones was too many), I kept going back and back but still had 2-3 second delays from motion to lights on. There were numerous reboots too (as I thought this might help).

This morning itā€™s back to being as responsive as it once was (it was still slow when I went to bed).

Could it be that there was some mesh rebuilding or other settling that needed to occur? If so, perhaps I didnā€™t need to keep removing all my additions and perhaps should have waited?

That would have to depend on what the problem is/was. Overnight, the Hub does maintenance tasks. Including purges of... purges of several things, including "ghost devices." It's difficult to diagnose from this chair, what happened on your hub. I would agree that you should move on to the next step and begin adding back. Do no more than half.. wait. Give it time to run out of.. whatever it ran out of.

And this time i'll backup after every device/app change :slight_smile:

It'd be nice if it made it's backups based on changes rather than days but oh well, it's a few clicks.

1 Like

You can find scripts in threads here for initiating a backup from a LAN device.. a PC, be it Mac, Linux or OSX and save it. Do it hourly if you wish. :smiley:

And this morning itā€™s back to 5 second delays on motion controlled lights.

Shame there is no equivalent of task manager?

That explains it, auto shutdown again. Restoring back to December :frowning:

Awesome. 500 error. And now won't get past 10% in boot up. Factory reset?

Do not be too aggressive with reboots. I know it's tempting and add in some frustration... but no quicker than every 15 mins. There are only 4 DB on the hub, it's probably rewinding to an older one, perhaps finding that corrupted too, going back one more. Give it some time to recover.

OK i'll leave it be for a while, I've emailed support too.

One "problem" with a factory reset is the hub has to go through the registration cycle again... which means Support has to reset the keys/flags. In other words, you need a Support person handy, either way.

OK, i left it 20 mins, rebooted, 40 mins later still on 10% boot.

:frowning:

Support is running behind due to absences from illness, etc.

Did you get a Backup from the Hub?

Did you try booting without the USB radio stick? (The query of every device is bypassed.)

1 Like

If boot without the radio stick doesnā€™t work, see if you can roll back to the previous platform version with the Hub updated tool.

You can get to it by http://[hub IP address]:8081

Replacing [hub IP address] with the actual IP address of your hub. It sounds like you may have a corrupted database that the hub isnā€™t able to rebuild and need to roll back to a backup database.

I do have backups yes. Just tried the 8081 port method of going back to .116 and that didn't work so now trying to come back to .117

No luck with .117 or .116

Iā€™m reluctantly thinking that I should have two hubs, one that does the basics (lights, security, etc) and the other where I play with things that involve otherā€™s code or unsupported devices) so that I donā€™t end up with this unreliability that impacts the core functions whilst I await support.

This is unfortunate. There are support people working on issues, but backed up at the moment as @csteele mentioned.