Setting Static IP

Hello.
Im in Malaysia. I have Maxis broadband.
I have some Broadlink IR blasters and for some reason they seem to change the IP address...infrequently but ut happens Not a huge inconvenience but im never sure when it happens until i notice the automations don't run. I'm not certain but was thinking that setting a static IP address on the Hub might sort the issue.

Can someone simplify how you get a static IP address for the hub?
Thanks
Mac

Hi Mac,
It is best to do this on your LAN router. The Hubitat Hub does not assign IP addresses.
Cheers Rene

2 Likes

I recognize that. Thanks. I was asking about how you set a static up to the hub. Never had any luck figuring that out on a router / isp

Can you find the manual of your ISP's router? If it does not support assigning static IP addresses I would get a good WiFi router that does and put that behind your ISP router, or replace your ISP router with it (best option, but not all ISPs support it, here in the EU they must allow other routers). If you want to do Home Automation without proper control over your LAN you are up for a lot of issues.

3 Likes

Simply go into the network settings on the hub from your pc.

Settings>>Network Setup>>Switch to Static IP and fill in the boxes

But note that as @MrFarmer said, configuring the hub to use a static IP address will do nothing to prevent your broadlink devices from having their IP addresses reassigned in the future.

In other words, it isn’t a solution to the problem you have outlined in the OP.

Configuring a static IP address on the hub also creates opportunities for problems to occur in the future related to IP address conflicts or failed DNS lookups.

If you want to prevent any device on your LAN from changing IP addresses, whether it’s your hub or your broadlink devices, you should set DHCP reservations in your router’s settings menu as @MrFarmer suggested.

5 Likes

Your Broadlink IR blasters are changing ip so you will want to reserve them as well. Just enter the main router's IP and reserve slots for the blasters and the hub.

yours should be 192.168.1.254

What makes you say that? OP hasn’t mentioned anything about his LAN subnetting. His local network could be in a totally different range.

And if it is a 192.168.1.0/24 network, as many (but not all) home consumer oriented routers are, the router/gateway would probably be at 192.168.1.1 by default.

1 Like

Should be... Maxis is a company in Malaysia and thats their router ip for home users.

1 Like