Set your Home to a mode!

Nope. "Day" mode is anytime the level is above 50%, so indoor lights that are motion controlled are triggered based on whether it is > 50 or not. Outdoor lights only turn on when the level is 1. I was finding that turning my outdoor lights on when I wanted indoor lights in "night" mode was turning them on way too early. And if I waited till the outdoor lights should turn on to begin using indoor lights in "night" mode was way too late.

I cheat, I don't use mode manager, but I do use modes. There was a reason I didn't choose it, but I will revisit it.
I use:
Home: Normal awake hours everything interacts
Quiet time: early mornings or evenings when one person is in bed- Based on two Qi chargers with contact sensors as triggers - only runs muted lights and doesn't turn on all the lights in the bedroom so we keep the HAF/WAF
Away: mainly for hsm, but certain lights will interact in this mode
Night: everyone is in bed. Turns off all lights except for lights deemed as night lights.

Woah, can you speak more to this? How and what devices are doing this?

I absolutely love this automation. I did two projects on this. Version one wasn't pretty. It had wires and looked like something that might go boom. Version two was much prettier and is rock solid, although If I redesigned them, I'd use a different base configuration. Something angled instead of flat. It's difficult to get the phone on the charger correctly. I'll just post a link to the project for the "devices". I think that was why I didn't use mode manager. Because of the how. The how is just a simple rule in rule manager that determines if one or two phones are docked and change mode accordingly. One contact sensor closed = quiet time /- two closed=night /- two open = home. Essentially, those two chargers control 3 modes. Since if your phone isn't docked, then presence is going to take over for other modes. Since our phones go with us everywhere, it's pretty solid. If you're interested in trying this, I'm happy to help. Just pm me. Also note that another person (and his name escapes me) does the same with charging their phones face down with sharptools. Just thought I'd throw that one out there. Here's the link:

Wow, that is amazing.
Seems beyond my wood-working skillz, but maybe something I could give a go at with a friend this summer.

1 Like

Doesn't need to be out of wood. We're rather crafty, and we have the tools to complete that, but you could easily fashion one with a 3-d printer and a design idea. You have the design idea, now make it your own. Think outside of that box.

2 Likes

At first I was like, wow, I'm lost, how do we go from talking about mode manager to building wireless chargers out of wood... Then I went back up and saw the comment about the contact sensor. Very ingenious.

2 Likes

Any of you have experience with the Mode Lighting App?

Looks like it could be useful but I haven't spent enough time to figure it out.

I would like to share how I configured my mode manager, maybe is helpful for others.
I use several modes and I use the Mode manager as well. Let me explain:

These are my modes:

• Day (starting at 7:00am)
  • Evening (starting at 12:00pm)
  • Night (starting at 8:45pm)
  • Sleeping Time (1:15am)
  • Siesta (activated manually by virtual switch dashboard)
  • Away (of course)

Of course those times depends on everyone needs but I find very useful to have different modes to activate scenes or to use other apps who acts depending on the active mode, like the Motion Lighting Apps.

Example:
*My wife use to sleep up to 11:00am so during that time (Modes Sleeping Time - Day) the lights are designed to have a low level bright on master bathroom (is in front). But at 12:00pm that changes automatically and mode manager changes to Evening mode and adjusting all lights to more adequate levels (same with color bulbs). *
At 8:30pm-8:40pm ends the TV news so my mode manage activate Night mode where I adjust lights levels, colors, turn off some fans, etc.... is like assuring all those devices enter in "rest mode". When Sleeping Time Mode is activated then all lights and fans are turned off and in HSM I activate the mode Alarm at Home. I don't have to touch anything. :wink:

Note: Is funny to see my neighbors face when my notification systems says on my Home mini "Activating Evening Mode"... automatically.

These are just one examples how Mode Manager helps me to automate everything.

Sorry for my english.... not my mother tongue.

2 Likes

Did you get a way to use it without internet or you got a full time internet plan?

Same here. Except only 3 modes - Home, Away, Sleep.

1 Like

Three modes for me here ( sleeping , daytime night ) .... don’t like how away and home works ( in general in home automation ) I think it should be a separate indicator that adds context to the sites mode .... eg Mode daytime/ I am away .... mode daytime I am home etc .... this allows all of the normal Daytime routines to operate and only adjust those that need adjusting to cater for home / away .... = going to add as a global indicator .....

I have a mode called USA on my hub in Ireland, for when I'm in the USA. In Mode Manager I've set it so that Away and USA are "Modes to ignore time changes".
Using a Mode tile on a dashboard I set the mode to USA, but Mode Manager changes the mode to Day, Evening or Night (at the appropriate time) - ignoring the "Modes to ignore time changes" setting.

Bug?

Hi vjv its been a while without enter the forum :wink:
I managed to use almost 95% of my hub offline.. as you know I have internet but is too expensive and it was the main feature I was looking in a hub, so far doing great.

As I guess you are asking about the Home mini notifications and you are right.... for notification on Home Mini you need internet.... but I realize sometimes it works some minutes after the internet is down... don't now why but I guess the designer of the home mini wants to force us to have internet.

Summarizing Home mini is able to work offline but google programmers wants we spend time connected as after some minutes it do not work (notifications)

2 Likes

When I first set things up, I created these four, mainly to see how modes operated

• Mid watch
  • Morning watch
  • Afternoon watch
  • Evening watch
    that change automatically based on time-of-day. Only mid watch (11:30pm-5:30am) is utilised (HSM).

I'm testing presense related modes (Home, Away, Extended Away) and will probably get rid of all but the Mid Watch existing modes.

However, if I'm away and I return home after the start of a time based mode, that mode will never be picked up (i.e. it only changes at the specified time). Does that make sense? Anybody worked around this?

I tend to agree.

I live in a rural area. I was a volunteer first responder and deputy sheriff for several years. There were too many times where once we arrived, we were delayed making entry and/or finding the patient. I now have advanced pancreatic endocrine cancer that provides times where I become too dehydrated to move and I know I need help.

So, I have a "Home Crisis" mode that opens the garage door, turns on all lights inside & out, and plays a message for entry and how to get to my location based on my phone's location on my Zooz S2 multi-siren.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea! I have a “deadman switch” automation, so if there’s no sign of activity for 14 hours while I’m at home, there’s a few people who are automatically notified.

Also, good luck with your prognosis. I’ll think good thoughts and hope for the best!

1 Like

What are you using to locate your phone inside the house? That level of resolution sounds hugely helpful but seems tricky to put into practice.

Sorry for the delay. Short answer: I use Life360 lat & long. I apologize screen has changed and trying to figure out now how to screen shot the rules how I do it.

Medium answer: The hub and iphone lat-long "wander" (watch them long enough and find same location value differs), but their positioning remains similar, i.e., valid, relative to each other. In my home, I found I could "read" when I'm at one end of the house (north: livingroom/kitchen), the other end (south: master bedroom), or outside (east/west)(giggles. And no, I do not live in spacious mansion). That's essentially the "how" to then determine my location in crisis mode.