Set Up Automation when NOT on LAN

I have the hub set up. I have the lock added as a device. How do I add codes and unlock my lock when I am not connected to the local network?

The lock is on an apartment building, and I want to control it from my office, which is at another location.

Please help.

You could (maybe) include the lock in the list of Devices on the mobile App (though I am not sure of the requirements for device types for this to be a possibility).

The option that will (definitely?) work would be to include the lock on a dashboard and then access that dashboard via the cloud, either using the Hubitat Mobile App or using the cloud link for the dashboard.

To access the hub’s main user interface (which is where you would edit device settings like lock codes), you’ll need some kind of VPN access to the LAN the hub is on.

Or Hubitat offers an optional remote admin subscription service for just this purpose.

Note that if you just want to lock or unlock the lock remotely, you can setup a dashboard as @sburke781 mentioned. That doesn’t require a subscription or other means of local access to the hub’s LAN.

2 Likes

There's also more details than I could offer... :point_up: :slight_smile:

Control/unlock is easy, you use a dashboard to do this.

Codes get a bit more tricky, but can be implemented. You have a few options, like the VPN or subscription mentioned above. The third option is the following procedure:

The discussion that drove the documentation came from here:

1 Like