Set the default on state for color bulbs

I just did this to the inovelli bulb drivers

You modified the existing Inovelli Drivers, which are public. The Hubitat drivers are not public. So, someone would have to write one from scratch. I'm not even going to try and do that for an RGBW bulb. Just waaayyy too complicated.

So, what if the bulb is off and you set it to the color red? Would you want it to come on to red or would you want it to come on to Warm White?

If the bulb is off and I set the bulb to Red it should come on Red. For example, if the bulb is off and I say, "Alexa, turn on the Family Room Table Lamp", the bulb would turn on and default to Warm White. If on the other hand the bulb was off and I said, "Alexa, set the Family Room Lamp to Red", the bulb would turn on an be Red.

Should mention, I currently have some rules defined that set my bulbs to Warm White when they're turned on. The problem is, the rules don't support the functionality I described above that allows the bulb to be turned on to a specific color, the rule always overrides and sets the bulb to Warm White. So the situation I have right now is you must first turn the bulb on and then set the color to Red or whatever other color you want.

THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT!!!!!! You cannot get both functionalities simultaneously unless you create a custom driver for them. Whenever the light turns on, the light turns on. Your rule will be triggered by that happening and reset the color and/or level. There is no way around that. That was the point I was trying to make to Ken.

IF your lamp supports colour pre staging (unfortunately it seems only US lamps do) you would be better to flip it. Fire the rule on a OFF, of the switch state of the lamp (after short delay possibly?) and set it to warm white. That way if you asked it to go to a color it would but if you just asked it to turn ON it would be warm white.

1 Like

Without knowing what kind of color bulbs he is using it is difficult to say what options are available. For me, I could (and do) use color prestaging for this, but my color bulbs are Sylvania and support this without turning on. I can turn on the lights with voice to whatever color I want and it isn’t overridden. He could have the lights change to warm white whenever turned off using color prestaging, but I assume he isn’t using bulbs that have this capability, or he would already be doing that.

How?

If you set that to the same as the lights currently are, then they will turn back on. That also means that when you turn them on via a command to alexa you then have to turn them on in addition to setting the color.

Not if you had a condition of if colour temperature X (warm white) exit rule it wouldn't.

Shouldn't do no, the colour pre staging part of the driver should (never tested but how I have be told should work) send the "new" colour then send the ON. So in theory should give everything the OP want's.

I'm confused....you're saying that Alexa sends the CT, the Level and the On? Because that is what is going to be required if you have level and color prestaging turned on.

Don't use Alexa, so only assuming it's the same as Google?

Possibly right, because I believe the driver splits it i.e if colour sent without pre staging that is a ON and a colour, but with pre staging it drops the ON.

Would have to try? It may actually send the colour then a ON/level (that should just be go to this level) or ON/Level then the colour.

Just noticed this I don't think the OP need / required this. That would add another layer.

How would the Alexa app know what the prestaging setting in the driver are? Or care? I don't think that is true. I'm pretty sure if you have color prestaging on you have to first command the color and then command it to turn on.

And if you mean that the driver drops the on? Then you would have to command the on again separately anyway because the driver would have dropped it.

This, on a combined message.

It doesn't or care.
What I was getting at is the command that is sent from Alexa might actually be level, space colour or colour space level rather than a combined message. My thinking being a combination message might not work with all lamps/lights but a separate will, so that might be how they implemented it?

In which case it would work, pure speculation, but I might see if I can see the message from Google tomorrow :grinning:

No...that is not how it works. If you command a color change it does not turn on the light. Meaning you have to issue a separate on. And I just tested it to confirm.

For the Sengled driver, I wish it didn't work this way. I spent way too long discovering that there needs to be a delay between the CT set and level. Would be great if I could set the level and CT in a single rule action rather than in two steps. The way it is now if the CT action is first the light turns on at 100% and then dims after a 1-second delay to the desired level. If the level is set first then it turns on with the last CT or color at the desired level but then switches color while one. Neither of these is very elegant.

Have you tried enabling "color prestaging" in the driver, assuming you aren't turning the power off to the light? You could also setup custom commands: one to send the color/color temp first, then another to set the level to turn it on. I mostly quit setting my lights this way, opting to send CT commands in the background when a mode change occurs (with color prestaging enabled), then just using a button controller to set dimmer levels per mode.