Sense Energy Monitor

My washer is 220v. So that’s not something I can use. Considered one for the microwave, but the Sense can do it without. I just have to be patient.

Also don’t like to have to add something I cannot remove, when the Sense was already fairly expensive.

Hmm. 220v washer?! damn. Well, give it time. Might show up. =)

1 Like

This is one of the important ones I’ve been waiting for!

For now I’m going to use IFTTT and I’ll rig up a contact sensor to the door. If my wife puts her coffee in to warm it, I’ll have Alexa remind her if the door isn’t opened with in a few minutes after the microwave turns off. This is an event that occurs several times a day, everyday. I have not checked, but I’ll bet there’s a cold cup of coffee in there right now🤪

Looking forward to a local integration. Thank you @tonesto7 for taking the time to port this to HE.

3 Likes

Side note, I’m noticing that the device discovery only occurs during Sense’s business hours. Kind of has me wondering if this “Machine Learning”, is really just a bunch of humans looking at our Sense power meters and making educated guesses.

I have had many overnight notifications of new discovered devices.

1 Like

Right. I’m mostly joking. Still suspect something fishy though.

2 Likes

@ritchierich Take a look at this job description from Sense for a "Device Support Analyst" and the number one job responsibility. :wink:

2 Likes

Me too.

From the job posting.
Not sure you can be a hip company if you say you are.

3 Likes

OK, I'm waiting for the let down. So far, I"m pretty damn happy. We now have the dryer discovered (and my wife's hair dryer, meh). Just need the washer and everything else is a bonus.

It's fairly clear I'm not going to pay for this with savings, just as you suggested I would not @aaiyar. I've been able to save $1 a month. Not enough to pay for this thing while it's still relevant, and it currently shows my energy use is lower than 80% of Sense users. Maybe it will have a single pay-off like some of the other users. Cool device though.

1 Like

I’ve had my sense installed for about 1.5 months and so far no washer. It’s a 120v HE top loader though. Electric dryer yes.

Same here. Some washer cycles are recognized after ~1.5 years. Others are not. I still use a Samsung power-monitoring plug to monitor my washer.

Hmmm, that is long. Mine is a front loader. I may not keep this thing if that’s the case. I’ve got less than a month to make a decision.

How long did it take for your dryer to show up on Sense?

I installed at the end of the day on October 7. The dryer showed up this morning.

Oh that was fast I had mine for past 3 months and still don't have the dryer showing up

I suppose it must depend on how much "noise" there is in your house. My house is small and our panel is only 100 AMP, so not all that much going on. My calibration was very fast (finished on the morning of October 8), so I suspect that I either did an exceptionally good job of installing it, or there's not that much going on here, so calibration was simple. I'm guessing it's the latter.

But my Front Load washer is VERY distinctive in its motor signature. If this thing needs 1.5 years to figure that out, then they're not doing something right and I need to maybe rethink my purchase decision. I have until November 10 to make a decision. Hopefully I'll see something in the next few weeks.

I use a TED Pro Home from the Energy Detective: http://www.theenergydetective.com/

By far not as flashy as Sense and it doesn't do any kind of "Appliance Detection". It monitors individual circuits and I monitor my washer, dryer, dishwasher that way as I my house was wired in a way that made it possible to do it via the circuits. Pretty happy with this one and also wrote a driver (local via ethernet, no cloud involved) that I published here: [Release] TED Pro Home Energy Monitor

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Dan. I looked at that along with Eyedro 4. Both are really expensive for me. Around $430 CAD ($323 US) for the TED with just two clamps and $500 CAD ($375 US) for the Eyedro 4, both are before tax prices. The Sense was $330 US after duty and shipping, so still a stretch, but will be worth it to me if it can find my washer and report it more accurately than my Aeotech HEM, which often gives false alarms for the Washer due to its very low power use during the cycle while filling or even just rotating the drum.

I'm beginning to think about alternatives. Seems to me if I could monitor one of those TP-Link outlets with energy monitoring in HE, that would satisfy my dishwasher and microwave/convection oven for less than $100 CAD, and then for the dryer and washer I would close a Zigbee contact with a relay when they turn off. Two 240v coil relays and two Xiaomi contact sensors would be just $40.

Although the other features and the ability to possibly spot a problem with the Sense is compelling, I'm not sure now if it's worth the $430 CAD price. I did test my Aeon on the mains coming in, along side the Sense. Had to go through a couple of drivers to find one that read close to the same values, but I did get within 30W (over) of what the Sense was reading. So while it's very cool to be able to analyze my fridge compressor in such high detail, I could probably live just fine with simply watching the wattage increase when it turns on.

:thinking: Really undecided at this point. If I know myself, I will work just as hard at convincing myself that I need this really expensive device, as I would at rationalizing its existence in my home.

Yes, these systems are not cheap, any of them. I didn’t get mine to just do washer announcements and actually used it to find power hogs in my house and save money. It was bad way when I started... By now I can say that the system paid for itself but it is really a long road to see a return on investment, if you can achieve that at all.

1 Like