Sense Energy Monitor

Completely agree with this statement. It has only detected things like space heaters, coffee makers, and hair dryers. Things that are on short amount of time and don’t impact the yearly bill that much.

Community members are always pushing you to install smart plugs to make up for the lack of detection which I find ridiculous. I did it for my main AV, network, and computer power strips so I knew how much power they consume. But overall I am not happy with it and if it were to die I wouldn’t replace it. I don’t recommend it to anyone.

1 Like

It can detect some motors - like single stage compressors and single speed blower fans. But good luck with anything modern like a two-stage or variable speed compressor, or a variable speed ECM motor blower fan. Or a fridge with a linear compressor. Even though all these devices have distinct, unique, and reproducible startup power consumption signatures.

1 Like

Yes correct my outdoor heat pump condensers are detected but the indoor air handlers are not because they are all variable speed. It thinks it detected my fridges but they are never correct and I gave up trying. I reset my hub early last year to see if things would get better and it didn’t. Honestly barely pull up the app anymore.

1 Like

I used to pull it out once a month to make sure my power provider’s meter reader wasn’t screwing me over, because we had old-fashioned dial meters.

Now that they’ve installed smart zigbee meter, even that isn’t necessary :smiley:

1 Like

A device capable of monitoring the two mains, 12 branch circuits, AND integrating with mainstream power monitoring plugs AND the Sense UI would be ideal. Add the Sense AI on top of all that and you've got yourself a winner!

I suppose for $600 you could get Sense and an Iotawatt and use HomeAssistant to get everything into the Sense interface.

1 Like

I’m actually using Emulated Kasa to get data into Sense. But it’s a worthless crutch that assuages my vanity that I haven’t spent $300 on a under-performant device.

1 Like

...on a decent app with pretty bubbles!

1 Like

Maybe this is a sign...it can't tell when my furnace kicks in but it sure knows when I'm talking about it behind its back...

This is the third time since I added my two Kasa plugs last week. This isn't normal...has been pretty reliable.

2 Likes

Alright, already! :joy: I'm convinced that I don't want to be complaining about my Sense monitor like you guys. :rofl: I'll stick with my Aeon HEMs.

4 Likes

This is always nice to see...

1 Like

This was mine:

1 Like

So, I am considering creating a Sense integration. I cannot tell, is there one already, or not? I am not going to borrow the ST code, and modify it. It would be a straight up new solution, and I would publish it through HPM.

3 Likes

I think the only existing integration is using Home Assistant.

1 Like

Ha seeing y’all’s I am too embarrassed to show mine :joy:. Lower this month but with wife and I working at home full time much higher usage. Thank goodness power is cheap in NC.

I am willing to try and test. I have setup the NodeRed integration a few times but every time I do the Sense mobile app becomes unresponsive and the real time updates don’t work. So I’ve given up. It would be nice to push on/off of my sump pump into HE. It is one of the few useful devices it’s detected that I care about knowing details on.

1 Like

Interesting. That didn't happen to me. But my Node-RED installation became very sluggish.

1 Like

Okay, I will start playing with this this weekend. If all works out, I'll push a Hubitat version to HPM before end of the weekend. I also submitted a feature request to Sense for a local API.

6 Likes

I hate to sound needy, but I've got a couple suggestions/feature requests depending on how far you go with this...

1. Don't automatically create child devices for every device Sense detects. Let the user choose which ones to poll into HE. This is one thing about the HA integration that seemed like a bad idea.

2. A feature similar to HA's Emulated Kasa integration would be phenomenal. The ability to push power data from HE devices into Sense would be useful. This could either be a dynamic value from something like a power monitoring plug, or a static (user entered) value) from something like a switch device.

This will require the Hubitat platform to support creation of a UDP daemon bound to some non-privileged port (I forget which one) by drivers/apps. I don't know if that is possible.

1 Like

Bummer. Oh well, i guess beggars can't be choosy.

1 Like

I think it a good feature request. Looking at the Emulated Kasa code, I don’t think it’ll be difficult to implement if third-party apps and drivers get access to binding non-privileges UDP ports.