Sense Energy Monitor

When you say slow to identify you mean just when the appliance starts up? Or is it slow to react when the appliance shuts off? What I mean by that is, does it indicate, for example that the dryer has shut off immediately, or does it take several minutes?

Well it identifies the changes immediately the only problem with that is in a single appliance like a dryer you can have cycles that provide false positives. So in some cases sense may identify only the motor to turn the drum and it may also identify the heating element as a separate device. Luckily the sense team implemented the ability to combine devices for a single appliance. I just got my hubitat hub yesterday so prior on SmartThings I had a delay in webcore of a few minutes to avoid false positives. Enough time to allow the cycle to complete and not alert only to find the dryer was still going just the element was not active at that for example. So sense initially will show total power usage for your entire home, Then it will start bucketing them into categories after a few days and show always on devices.

Then eventually it will start to detect the individual signatures of devices and tell you it has found a new appliance and give you suggestions of what it thinks the likely hood of the appliance is for example.

Initially it is usually spot on but some of the more hard to identify items start to get harder to track down. I have two devices now I have no clue what they are or why they only show on randomly.

That being said if your not sure what it is seeing and not ready to name the device you can setup notifications to send you a push notification each time sense sees that device on or off to help you track it down.

To be fair the last month or so I have not really dedicated a lot of time to identifying those two devices. So when I say slow to identify I mean slow to identify the signature of devices so you can see them as different appliances and in my case virtual devices in a smart home implementation and can act on them.

The larger items and anything pulling a lot amps it seems to identify a lot quicker than others Fridge, Microwave, Oven, and heat sources it seems to identify pretty quickly but it can vary from model to model of course.

I have two servers running 24/7 and it has yet to identify them but it is community based uses data from each person to help identify those signatures so I would assume it's not that common for someone to have servers running in their home and therefor the reasoning for taking so long to see these devices.

Hope that helps I know it was a litter long winded but I wanted to make sure I explained it in detail. I can honestly say I love having it and would buy it again any day I originally was looking at individual devices to accomplish this at $80 a pop for each appliance I wanted to monitor and this made so much more sense and gives me the ability to monitor entire usage and even an estimate of my bill based on what we are charged per kilowatt hour.

1 Like

I forgot to mention once it identifies the devices you can easily see the power usage of each device and it gives you reports to show you how much it will cost for the day, week, month, year. It will show total time on and all. Example my Central AC has ran a total of 3 days and five hours for this month. It even shows you what it estimates that will cost for the year. You can even drill down even more and see what times the device is turning on and how much usage you have by the hour etc.

1 Like

Slow to do the initial identify for the first time. I think it took one month to find my dishwasher. Once a device is identified, it is very responsive in showing proper on/off states.

As joelawson was saying one device powers different components and Sense will identify them as different devices. Clothes dryer was identified as a motor for turning the drum and a heater for drying the clothes cause both aren't always running at the same time. If you just do a tumble dry setting etc.

For me it is a money saver on that I don't need to buy multiple heavy duty outlets for two sump pumps, washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, HVAC, etc. If you want very accurate and immediate results from your power monitoring of individual devices, then buying outlets for each devices is ideal.

It is frustrating to wait for something to be identified though. Some other system allow you to train it. Sense says these systems aren't as accurate as Sense learns over time how to sense the signal from normal home usage. Whereas training is under more ideal conditions. I dunno...

I didn't buy it for the individual device monitoring. But I can say it is a fun perk using it to tell me when the washer is done or check the sump pump because it rained and hasn't powered on.

1 Like

@helene7t7 do you have yours working with hubitat?

Yes
Through home assistant to Hubitat using MQTT.

I saw you use smartthings, you might want to try the HubConnect

I had smartthings but sold it for more local options like Hubitat and home assistant.

Oh cool I played around with Home Assistant then my server crashed and I got discouraged. I had a lot of time in it learning and all kinds of struggles.

OMG I know right!

The amount of time I have sunk into this project. I tried home assistant once failed miserably. I left it alone for three months and came back. They recently have done a lot of changes to make it more user friendly. I mean in comparison to what is was isn't saying much!

It was easier the second time around. Connecting Sense was the easiest thing about the whole process.

MQTT is a nightmare though. Took me about three hours of researching and troubleshooting. Then at the time I didn't have a MQTT driver/app for Hubitat but an example code was posted. I took that example code and code from other HE drivers and over the course of three days managed to hobble together working code. The Hubitat community is 1000% more helpful than the HA community. I posted 85% working code and the HE community fixed my last few lines!

Yeah I tried several times myself and finally started making a lot of progress my last attempt and lost it all. I was like time to move on to something else now....:slight_smile:

1 Like

Who is willing to port this over to Hubitat? I will help anyway I can just not a developer or coder. Anyway hoping we have a brave soul out there willing to take on the challenge!

2 Likes

It will be great to have this port over to Hubitat.

1 Like

I agree my MQTT keeps disconnecting so I can't rely on what my dashboard says

Hey Hubitat pimps!

Is there someone who could provide me with a basic, yet comprehensive understanding of the established process Hubitat uses to prioritize the list of proposed/approved apps in line for development?

Does Hubitat set policies which dictates which proposed apps are prioritize higher or lower? For instance, do certain 3rd party brands or capabilities get preferential consideration when prioritizing?

I'd love to see whatever you guys use to outline the Proposed App Development Live Cycle decision chart, if you have one. If you don't have one, what else do you have your interns do?

I understand that the community members take it upon themselves to show off their coding skills. Do any manufacturers of these 3rd party devices ever come correct, and provide resources to develop an integration app?

This is all being asked here because I have just installed a Sense monitor. This one device has done more to assist my smart house to live up to its designation. The part of my brain that handles coding and language skills must have been struck repeatedly or somehow lost oxygen supply at some point at a kid, cause when I tried to learn it.... Let's just say things ended up broke.

My point to all that is I switched over from ST to Hubitat awhile ago, and I'm by and large happy. However I get sad when I see multiple established customer needs/wants for the integration of a specific 3rd party device. That like reads like I'm a pouting passive aggressive (PAGRO) who wants you to stop everything to focus on what's important to me.... Yeah, that's accurate.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I understand the concepts of "resources constraints" and "feel free to get it started. Oh you can't, that's right... That's a real shame". I'm just curious so i can manage my expectations and how I'll posture when I execute OPERATION PERPETUAL PESTER, which is my planned directed influence campaign targeting Sense development. I'll get them to the point which we call "critical mass", and is defined as the moment a project manager realizes the resources and energy required to manage our campaign has exceeded the resources and energy which would be required to just develop a Hubitat integration app. It never ceases to amaze me when we see how quickly this strategy can succeed!

?

I have a really good contact at Sense if it would help at all.

I've noticed that the Sense struggles with devices that draw power in multiple ways such as motor + heating elements or ones that pause and then start up again.

That's cool Matt I watched your video before my purchase and a few times after my purchase. Thanks for the contributions I just subbed to your channel sir!

Ha! Thanks so much ... appreciate it.

1 Like

Yes please

Pete, What is your email address? I'll pass along your information.

I love your videos!

Thanks @BrandonD! Really appreciate it.