Sensative Guard 700 Contact Sensor

Hubitat OS version: 2.3.4.130
Device: Sensative 700 Guard Contact Sensor
Driver: Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor (Built-in)
Included with security? No

I have two Sensative 700 Guard strips and in the event log I am seeing the device report battery events very frequently (see below). I hadn't paid attention to this initially but the device is now showing 1% battery life after only 6 months of use. I'm trying to determine if the frequent battery reports are related to the built-in driver or a defect with the device. I have also contacted Sensative support to try to troubleshoot the issue.

Additionally I have looked through the Zwave settings on the device and everything is still set to their default values (manual here: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4447?selectedFrequencyId=2). Most importantly parameter 22 is set to zero which disables the battery heartbeat and event failure retries (which may have explained the event pattern in the logs).

Are there any other users out there that have Sensative 700 Guard strips and are seeing a similar behavior?

The device data looks like the following:

All my Guard Strips (6) are dead after about 6 years (so much for the 10 year battery life). I still have two of the Comfort Strips now reading about 50%.
Mine must not have been 700 series as old as they are/were.
I do note mine have a wakeup interval that is double the value that you have. I don't recall ever setting any of those values other than what is exposed on the Device page.

I have a Sensative 500 Contact Strip that is going on 6+ years and is around 25% still. The event behavior of the 700 Contract Strips is different though. The 500 Contact Strip never reports any battery status. Both 700 Contract Strips that I have report battery events randomly and not according to their wake up intervals.

The one that I have raised a concern on in this post is direct connected to the hub and reports the battery events far more frequently. Interestingly, the device reported a 239% battery level yesterday and then went back to 1%.

At this point I think I'm going to try to re-include and see if it helps.

That's worth a try.

I have 2 and they seam to only report battry updates on state change of the contact sensor or 2x a day. I’m using the same driver, but I’m paired S2.

@sidjohn1 Did you change any settings after pairing them? Are you using the built-in Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor.

The strange thing is that both devices report battery statuses slightly differently. One reports far less frequently but also shows multiple reports close together. I will try re-pairing them tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue.

Yes, I’m using the same driver as you. No, i didn’t change any device settings. The only thing I see that is different is I’m paired with S2.

I just excluded/included the device and Hubitat didn't automatically recognized as a contact sensor (it was assigned the Device type initially). I then updated it to the Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor device type, woke it up manually and clicked Configure. I can't remember if it was recognized as a Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor when I included it the first time. The Sensative strips are on the supported device list (although it doesn't indicate 500 vs 700).

After inclusion the Z-Wave Data section has changed a little bit. The zwNodeInfo and zwWakeupInterval are no longer showing.

I will monitor to see if the battery reports are less frequent now.

I’m using 700’s now, but i was using 500’s before… both work fine. I upgraded when the batteries died… needless the say the batteries in the 500’s did not last 10yrs. :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.