Senior fall alarm type devices

Not really looking to integrate into habitat, but I figured this might be a good place to ask other geeky types like myself for recommendations.

Looking to get something for my dad for if he were to fall he could trigger it to call or send me a message.

Much rather prefer something that doesn't have monthly fees. But look a quick look on Amazon And I'm quite overwhelmed with the options..

He's pretty far out in the country so chances are I would be able to get to him quicker than any kind of emergency responders.

He does have a home phone line so tying into that to place a call is an option also. He has internet at the house too.

He's got a cell phone but it's never turned on. I wonder where I get my stubbornness from. :smiley:

Interesting topic. I'm over 80 and have to be careful about falls. I too live in a rural area. Be interested to read replies.

2 Likes

Any button type device that is compatible with HE would work inside HE's range; could possibly extend that to WiFi button devices with some work; or could add a virtual button on a dashboard and access it via the cellphone if outside the range (although at that point a phone call generally works better).

My mom is 82 and she has fallen a few times. Luckily so far some one has been with her or she had her phone with her. She usually carries her phone but she will sometimes set it down and not have it with her. She realizes it's a problem and she now uses a walker everywhere she goes in the house.

We have several Alexa devices through out the house so if she doesn't have her phone she can call out and have Alexa call me or 911.

3 Likes

Taking steps to prevent falls is important, and there are a number of things that can be done around the house to reduce the risk of falls in the future.

3 Likes

The new Aqara presence sensors say they do fall monitoring when mounted to the ceiling. I was just looking atnthis the other day for mynown mom.

1 Like

I should clarify, there is no hub at his house and no smart devices.

Might run into a similar limitation, but an Apple Watch (with its own phone #) can do fall detection, and it’s possible he’d be more likely to keep the watch on his wrist (and turned on, and charged)?

Then I would strongly suggest a subscription service with cellular backup. The monthly cost of maintaining such a service is minuscule compared to the pain, suffering, and cost associated with a debilitating injury from a fall - such as a broken hip or femur.

4 Likes

Something to think about, the Aqara G3 camera has a zigbee hub built in. It has 360 degree pan as well as vertical control. It also has a privacy mode, so you aren't watching or recording mom or dad all the time, just when you need to check on them. It also has 2 way audio. The G3 is about $119.

My mom has one of those subscription services. The monitor strap broke and the thing fell to the floor. It did not even trigger a call. Their paperwork even said to throw it on the floor as a test. I did several times. It never triggered. Needles to say I don't feel quite as comfortable about the situation. She is 84 alone in AZ and so far refuses to move closer to anyone.

1 Like

I have found this market changes every few months and depending on who does the reviews, certain products hit the top of the list.
After a lot of research over the past year (2022-2023) I determined

• that my 88-89YO mother will not wear a tracking device if it looks like a tracking device.

• Mom will not keep up with charging --all devices have poor battery life

• You must decide if you want to use a base station (local tracking only) or GPS/LTE/Cellular.

• Apple watch w/Cellular seems to offer the best long range solutions. She loves it and wears it. She still forgets her phone.

Now, I am exploring ways to track it, at least in the house via Hubitat (maybe). Life360 doesn't seem to work the an Apple watch.

Stay away from no name watch tracking devices.

2 Likes