Senior citizen needs security camera setup help

Point very well made; enough so, as to convince me of avoiding potentials. Not much sense in doing things twice.

I argue about flat cables but 27000 of my friends all seem to think its okay! this comes for $12 with cable clips!

Yeah, I saw those on Amazon but was leery when I saw it. I'm gonna look into it further.

Why a new thread?

I'm sorry but it was suggested to me to do so. I'm getting ahead of myself so I'll settle down here. If it's best to continue this thread can someone tell me so and how to delete the new one and related posts about it's newness.

I locked the new doubled up threads to be deleted within 24 hours. Sorry everyone.

In general I’d say it’s up to you as the original poster. Since the discussion seems to be continuing in this one and remains related to your original post, there’s not much downside to keeping it going here.

Multiple threads about the same or similar topics can get confusing, in my opinion.

I see that you’ve figured out how to delete your post in the new thread you created. It will disappear by tomorrow.

Now back to the topic at hand :slight_smile:.

I have Cat6 runs in my house. In my old apartment, I had a bad experience trying to use a flat Ethernet cable to power an access point and have avoided them ever since.

There's a distinction between shielded vs unshielded for reducing electromagnetic interference and weather shielding for outdoor use. Cat5 (usually 5e these days) and cat6 are generally not shielded (but can be) for electromagnetic interference but both are available in weatherproof and "direct burial" versions. Likewise outdoor or direct burial versions can be either shielded or unshielded for EMI. If you buy something sold as "shielded" it usually has less to do with whether it's weatherproof, and more to do with whether it has additional EMI shielding.

Here's a nice description of shielded vs unshielded and when you might use one over the other.

5 Likes

My bad I guess - It seemed this original thread was about setup of sec Cam. now it's about wiring hence I suggested a new thread so future searches/users would find it clearer. As Forums become KB's and KB's become full of NA data - It's Microsoft all over again. Just on a grand scale.

Not your bad at all jshimoto. My original intent was to find out how to do a camera through Hubitat because I knew absolutely nothing about the correlation between the word camera and Hubitat. I also knew nothing about security surveillance at all. Even though I used the word camera the thread has gone exactly where I needed it to go. It has helped me understand the huge space between very basic and very technical because the thread has covered the three basics I needed to get going: camera, software, wire, switches. All the different input has saved me from wasting valuable finances. I have really appreciated the fact that experts are willing to offer years of advice to a totally 'topic unknowledgeable' person.

All that said - jshimoto, you and all the others have really been helpful and I really appreciate it. If I were to be perfectly honest I should not have posted on this forum, but, the Hubitat forum is my only connection to this type of technology. So . . . no, you did 'no bad'; you too have been very helpful. Thanks.

5 Likes

"aww shucks!" - scuffs the dirt with his toe

As a senior citizen in his seventies, I learned a lot by reading this thread, and I appreciate that you posted on this forum.

2 Likes

You can always post in the “Lounge” category if you have a question that’s not really related to Hubitat. People will be happy to help nonetheless. And in this case no one seems to mind you posted in the category that you did :slight_smile:.

4 Likes