Sengled WiFi Light Bulbs supported?

Hello, does anyone know if the Sengled WiFi Light Bulbs are supported yet?

No, only the Zigbee models. I would not count on the Wi-Fi models becoming supported any time soon; Sengled has no API for these, and what does exist (what quick Googling reveals that some people have reverse-engineered) seems to be cloud-dependent and not local, so there's little Hubitat can do about the former and very little reason most people would spend time on it given the latter.

You can see a list of all known working devices on this page, including model numbers usually: List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation (but there are community drivers for lots more devices)

2 Likes

Concur with bertabcd1234. However, when there is enough demand, someone will be able to build control from the data currently available on GitHub. Limitations: Cloud only integration. Can control wifi bulbs on/off, level, colorTemperature, and color. Control and status logic is straight forward and there are app and device examples to start with in the custom code.

Dave

I have a strong feeling that Hubitat MUST support a large variety of cloud-based devices going into the future. As people consider using Hubitat as their home control appliance, the lack of wifi reduces flexibility and also eliminates any compromise to SWMBO (significant-other who must be obeyed).

No promises. I just got one from Amazon (used, $12 US). I will play and see if I have the skill. I WOULD NOT BUY based on this message alone.

As soon as they start doing that, Hubitat will become an unstable as the rest. Their strength is in focusing on drivers they themselves control. By going to cloud products you lose that ability to independently support things. The manufacturer screws things up, or worse shuts everything down, and now you're integration is useless.

For the most part, we can cancel the internet and 90% of our smart homes will continue to function. The largest losses being vibe assistants and presence sensors, as well as remote access. But most of the automations continue. And the manufacturers can't do anything about that. That's what brought us to Hubitat in the first place

You start moving your focus to developing drivers for cloud based products, and you lose that.

1 Like

@stevkevdyl it is good to keep hubitat as local as possible (automations, etc.), but where it is required, there is no reason to hold back. For example, controlling ecobee via LAN is virtually impossible due to no API. The same is true with alexa & google (they cannot control devices locally - only zigbee devices directly paired to echos will work locally). If these integrations are unstable, then the user can choose not to buy those devices - unlike smartthings, where many cloud things CAN be made local if they tried.

In addition, most cloud integrations are from the community, not hubitat itself. So why not give the user a choice. Those who want all local can refrain from buying devices like ecobee & myq, while those who are fine with cloud can further elevate their home by tying in their cloud devices.

2 Likes

New user. Bought some Sengled wifi bulbs by accident (my own fault, I was in a hurry because something had died). I don't want them for the reasons laid out in this thread, but if any dev wants them to work on drivers I'm happy to mail them. I'm in Canada, though, so that might limit the utility of this offer.

It will continue to through the community but I doubt very much that @bravenel or the rest of the staff is interested in supporting cloud stuff. I mean, the moment a cloud server goes down from either a service perspective or that company went bye bye, iot novices will want to know why hubitat isn't working. I honestly can see what a support night mare that would be. Whereas a voluntary community member keeps an integration going literally out of the grace in their heart and can walk away if need be. JMO

2 Likes