Sengled Smart Light Switch

@hidoyatov.v.i how exactly did you configure this? i paired the Sengled Smart Switch, I used your DH from above. But it only shows 1 button, and even that does not seem to work. thanks

Hi @sanewton72

What do you mean under "1 button"?

Please make sure that type of the device is "ZigBee Battery Accessory Dimmer".
If you open the device on your local HE website, you should see commands similar to other switches (On, Off, Set Level and etc.)

Please see screenshots of my device.

thanks. i grabbed the updated version of the DH you posted earlier which made all the difference, now all configured & working well. If anyone has one of these things, it works well once you figure it out, if you want more info how to configure it going just ping me.

I modified hidoyatov.v.i's code (download modified device handler here) to make it work better in Node-RED

Before:

• Maker API wouldn't fire events on repeated "on" or "off" presses. So if I clicked "off", i'd see an event change in Node-RED, if i pressed "off" again, Node-RED wouldn't be notified of this new event, now it will. This was accomplished by adding "isStateChange" to the event code and this is more a change for Node-REDs sake than Hubitat/Rule Machine
  • Added "type" to the event output to identify "press" vs "hold" (not sure if this would make a difference in Rule Machine or not, but a big help in Node-RED)
  • I changed the stepping up and down to 20 (instead of 10 and 5), If you want more or less steps, adjust that value near the top of the driver (affects both Hubitat and Node-RED)

Could you please give me some more info on the config? I've downloaded the DH and paired Sengled smart switch. How do I config the switch to control a light(s)? Button Controller app? Simple Lighting app? Rule machine app? Please forgive my rookie questions. I'm brand new to the world of Hubitat!

of course - happy to help! there's a few ways to do it, but they way i did it to achieve the behaviour I wanted is below. If you don't want auto off timers and motion control, you can just use the Rule Machine and Simple Automation parts:
DEVICE PAGE: (note the bottom where it shows what apps are using the device)

RULEMACHINE: 'mirrors' the Sengled Smart Switch and bulb dimmer values, based on Dim_UP and Dim_DOWN button presses on the Sengled Smart Switch. Requires a local variable. (there is only 1 trigger: ignore the "OR" that appears in the trigger list, it appeared as i was testing different strategies and i assume it won't go away without deleting the rule, but it doesn't have any effect so I left it alone).

And if you want/need it:
MOTION LIGHTING: uses Samsung Motion sensor for auto lighting

SIMPLE AUTOMATION: makes the ON and OFF buttons work as well (quirk of how the Smart Switch operates)

hopefully that should get you going. welcome to Hubitat! Lots of very clever and most importantly helpful guys in this community, i always seem to be on the asking end so its nice to be on the answering end for a change :wink:

1 Like

You probably should just use the built in mirror app. It would make this a lot easier.

If anybody want this I modified the ST driver to added in buttons for double tapped and hold of the on and off buttons. I made them all pushable button events as I find these more useful in automatons.

I also added in an option to turn off the debug logs as well as the ability to change the dimming levels in the device page.

1 Like

i could have...but i don't use mirror for any other devices whereas i use RM anyway, and this way i expect it would be lighter hub footprint (i.e. no unneeded code/features).

nice one...i shall update my driver to what you just posted and have play with it. thanks for sharing @at9 i think its a neat little dimmer switch, just clunky (so far at least) to use in HE.

Driver updated...i like the "WIP" addendum :slight_smile: will let you know once I have a chance to play with it. not now though, now bedtime methinks.

1 Like

i appreciate the work on this. I had it working in St then moved platform, no joy. Glad to see the switch has support here.

@at9 thanks so much for the driver. Have you noticed that the remote will stop functioning after a few days? At first I thought that the battery was dead because the indicator LED was dim on button press. This has now happened on at least 3 different occasions on 2 different remotes. I have to pull the battery for about 20 minutes, replace it, and everything is back to normal. I have 2 zigbee repeaters (IRIS v2 wall plugs) and all Sengled bulbs (non repeating). Do you have any idea on why the remotes maybe acting this way? Thanks.

I had this happen once one of mine and swapped the battery with another remote fixed it straight away. I left the battery out for a while and put it back in and haven't had an issue since.

If I haven't used it for a while it and might take a couple of pushes to wake the remote up so it might be an issue with reconnecting to the mesh again that is doing it.

@at9 Thanks for the quick response. When it starts acting up, I can see the green LED rapidly blinking on button press. The LED is very dim also (reconnecting to mesh?). The only fix so far has been to pull the battery for at least 20 minutes.

Did you update the firmware on yours?

I replaced the batteries on both my remotes yesterday with brand new batteries. We'll see if that helps. Thank you.

I haven't updated the firmware on mine.

Any updates on the weird 'low battery' issues? I just got 2 remotes over the weekend. One worked great for a day, and it started acting up. Couldn't get the second one paired with the stock battery. I ordered some new batteries and swapped them in. First one was working fine. Second one I was able to get paired and working fine as well. This was on Sunday I believe. Used the first one a bit the next couple days just fine.

I just noticed the second one wasn't working and was showing the same symptoms. Removed the battery and going to let it sit for a while. Just checked the first one and its doing the same thing.

I really like these remotes, but if this is a reoccurring issue, I'm going to have to return them and find another solution. Just wanted to get some more recent feelers out to see if others are seeing the same issues. I would assume the new batteries are not dead already, guess I'll have to go find the multimeter.

I've returned mine as the longest I got was about a month before they needed a new battery.

Good to know. I think mine are about to do the same. I let them sit overnight with no battery and now they are working. Though I do not expect for long. I'll see how long they hold out, otherwise they are going back.

Its a shame, when they work its a great experience. I like the responsiveness, but I need reliability as well.

Any advice to improve stability of these? I'm using them as mirrored because setting up three different apps seemed excessive. I don't think that's the issue. It does get them out of sync but I can live with that. The problem is the remote doesn't always work. I have to hit the button for almost a solid minute, then suddenly it works.

I tried changing the zigbee channel to 23 so it would be further from my wifi, then changed it back to 20 as I thought maybe it didn't like the change.

My network should be fairly strong as the HE isn't far and there is an outlet near the remote as well. I could stand at the HE and see if it makes it respond faster but I think that's not the issue. I'll try next time it goes out though.

Also, is there a better remote that has a similar layout or even better the Ikea layout with just two buttons that are held for dimming? I hope a future update will get the Ikea stuff working as the design of it is among the best.