Sengled Element Color Plus bulb always starts red

This is my first experimentation with a smart/color bulb.

Every time the bulb is turned on, it first shines red for maybe 1/2 second, then shines the expected color (in this case, always 2400K). I've tried turning it on from the device edit page, a Hank 4 button controller (with button controller rules), and an iPhone (via the HomeKit bridge to HE). In every case, it shines red first.

I have pre-staging for color and level enabled, and have hit the configuration button (several times), so I assume those preferences are in effect.

The Hank button controller is triggering this Button Controller app rule...

The above rule is used to simply toggle the light on/off. If it is currently off, it sets the CT before toggling the light on. I assumed that "color pre-staging" being enabled would ensure that the light is soft white when it turns on.

I have rules for other button presses. They are similar to the above in that if the light is currently off, they all set the CT to 2400 before turning on the light. However, the bulb always shines red first on those buttons, too.

I tried a two second delay after setting the color and before turning the bulb on. The delay happened, but the bulb still initially shined red after the two second delay.

Comments/suggestions/advice?

just taking a stab - I started with Sengled bulbs a few years ago and slowly replaced them all - I still have one left (I was out of newer/better).
I think the bulb basically has a default setting. it remembers the last time it was set with the Configure button or something.
If you toy with the color and temperature and smash the config button - at some point it seems to remember that as the startup values before your override occurs.
Another problem I recall having was pre-staging - I don't think it works. Disable that. then smash a the color and temp as white or soft white or whatever is your most commonly used color so its correct prior to the color command actually being sent. Here's mine (and I'll not I'm on 'Legacy') - in a few tests I did back then I recall getting off the Sengled driver and went with Generic - that also seemed to help. In the end, I opted off Sengleds they just don't really have the stability I like.

I changed the rules from setting the color using color temperature to setting the color using RGB values (i.e., "pick a color" option). That eliminated the initial red light.

Looks like a side effect of setting the color using RGB is that the bulb isn't as bright as it was when setting the color via color temperature, even though the level is set to 100% for both cases before the bulb was turned on.

It wasn't as obvious early in the middle of the day as it is at night. It looks like the bulb is maybe 25% brighter when setting the color temperature, but that's just a guess.

1 Like

I accidentally found a way to eliminate the initial red color.

Initially, the rules were setting the CT to 2400 before toggling the bulb on, and that's when the bulb would initially flash red when it was turned on. I changed the rules to set the CT to 2700, and the red flash went away. I don't see any initial color now.

No idea why this works.