Sengled Bulbs unresponsive

lol great advice in anything tech... if it aint broke don't fix it.
problem is these guys at hubitat keep adding support for products & new features i want to use.
so...here i am :slight_smile:

i am a ST refugee and have a hub in my collection of old useless tech gathering dust. confirming you can upgrade sengled bulb firmware from a ST hub? if so that could be a last ditch attempt at stability.

Yep it's in that table. My study light and porch light are Senglend but I also have 4 living room bulbs that are the same bulb. The only difference is I added the study and porch 6 months after the living room. Else I bought them all at the same time. I also have 6 other sengled bulbs bought at a different time that also display in the table which I've kept off the network for now

Neighbor Table Entry
[Repeater (Rm Pro), 16D3], LQI:132, age:3, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Repeater (Kitchen Kettle), 33ED], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:5
[Lidl Plug, 737A], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Repeater (Porch), 8F18], LQI:115, age:7, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Study Light Group, 8F5D], LQI:1, age:7, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Porch Light, 9AFD], LQI:123, age:3, inCost:7, outCost:7
[Living Room Extension Lead, 9DEB], LQI:107, age:3, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Kitchen Light 2, A694], LQI:220, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Kitchen Light 3, A81D], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:7
[Repeater (Master Bedroom), B983], LQI:229, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Kitchen Light 1, F6C6], LQI:252, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:7
[Repeater (Hive), F9F2], LQI:253, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:7
[Pantry Switch, FCF4], LQI:182, age:3, inCost:7, outCost:7

My Sengled bulbs are a little wonky. I have a rule called by a Pico that should cause a bulb to turn on to 100%. Sometimes it works, other times it turns on to only 50%. If I press the Pico a 2nd time then it goes to 100%. This on a C-5 and 2.25.124.

did you change to the new drivers? if so, did you do the sengled bulb dance?
( after changing the driver to Advanced Zigbee Bulb, click Save Device > Configure > Save Preferences > Refresh )

Not seeing Refresh button...

sorry. my bad. i mis-typed that because i had used a community driver (generic zigbee device toolkit), which allows wiping all configs/states/variables etc.
it has a refresh button.

but you can also use the built-in 'Device' driver for the same function

Unfortunately, I don't. I've got some really complex settings/rules on specific devices and it's brutal to rebuild them all when the device misbehaves (I'm looking at you Zooz Zen23s).

I usually take screenshots of everything the device is involved in. I don't do the remove device from all the rules step. I just remove the device, re-add, and rebuild. Worked so far, but it's definitely painful. Huge fan of cloning rules and that functionality.

Wish you could put a rule "under construction" and do some sort of device place holder that could be addressed once you've fixed the troublesome device.

1 Like

Just did this, and it’s working great at the moment.
Hopefully it will continue!
Thanks!

1 Like

you're welcome. hopefully thats all you need to do.
its the advice from the hubitat devs, and feedback from some users confirms it for them.

for lucky others such as myself and the guys on this thread..not so much.

With Zigbee devices you don’t have to remove and replace them from the hub like zwave. So you do t need to redo rules, like zwave.

With zigbee (in my experience)

1. You run the device through it’s reset procedure. This could be turning the light on at the physical switch a certain number of times, etc. It depends on the device and should be in the manual for that device (or online)
  2. Set the device back into pairing mode, again per its manual.
  3. Set Hubitat in Zigbee pairing mode. When the device is found, it gets added back as the original device you had it set as on Hubitat (just don’t delete the device manually within Hubitat during all of this)

I’ve done this a dozen times on IKEA Tradfri plugs that seem to like to drop once in a while, and the occasional Zigbee bulb on the fringes of my mesh.

I have a lot of zwave devices too, and absolutely dread when I have to reset and rejoin those. Zigbee is a breeze though.

1 Like

I usually unpack the SmartThings hub only for this purpose. With Zibee it's easy to reset the Zigbee device join it to the SmartThings hub lets the firmware update run, reset the Zigbee device and rejoin it to Hubitat. Zigbee addresses are static so most of the time no rules are effected.

It looks like you did find the solution with the help of others with the "Configure" option in the device driver. I think we all need to make a mental note to use that when changing drivers since it will update parameters on the physical device.

i wish ... the sengled dance (configure button, etc) doesn't work for me. does for some.
i've done it a bunch of times.
i'm currently doing 1 bulb 'hard' replace (remove it from rules, delete it, then re-add) per @jaredhouck's suggestion. we'll see if that does it.
for thoroughness' sake, i'll also do 2 'soft' replaces (reset bulb, re-add to HE)

if neither of these work, its the ST hub and firmware route.

thanks @craigspree i'm aware of this...what i call a 'soft' replace where the HE database is not changed, only a reset on the bulb.
pro: easy peasy. con: if its a HE side issue, maybe not so effective?

'hard' replace is what we're talking about, where the bulb is reset AND deleted from HE.
which i agree with you all counts: its painful, just like doing a Zwave * just about anything *.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

and lo and behold, mid-sengled-dance, 2.2.5.128 appears.
i know i shouldn't update because if the bulbs work i'll never know if it was the remove/replace rigmarole or the update that fixed it. but..i don't care. its late, and i want to go to bed :slight_smile:
128, here i come.

Still have my ST hub around, wanted to confirm - once you join the Sengled bulbs to ST you don't have to do anything, just leave them connected and the FW update happens? Any estimate as to how long you leave them connected to get the udpate(s)?

As long as you have the options in the app to update firmware it should do it in less that a hour. With the developers dashboard you can see the status of the firmware update. My last two bulbs it was done in about 5 minutes per bulb.

https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/device/list

That url is region specific but that is where I watch the update's.

On the hub details screen:

OTA: Enabled for all devices is turned on

If it's off go into utiltes near the bottom of the page and you'll find the setting for ZigBee OTA updates:

Here is a snapshot of a test I just ran today:

When I first setup my hub I had issues with those and someone had suggested a Zigbee repeater so I put a wall socket switch in and they all work 99.95% of the time now.

Great, thanks, good to know that this is an option if I want to update them. Mine are working fine, so obviously the best plan is to just let them be. :slight_smile:

Chiming in as well.
I have 10 Sengled bulbes (soon to have more) and they have all been working for me perfect for the last year+, of which 3 are brand new.

I have them on the Sengled Element Classic built in driver.

One thing to note is my house is relatively small, and I have 3 zigbee outlet plugins which I assume strengthen my zibgee mesh. I also have avodided any other lightbulbs that would be repeaters per the suggestions on this board.

You are thinking that they update the firmware on the newer bulbs when they fix bugs? :rofl:That costs money. The ones I bought last month had the same firmware on them that the ones I bought last spring had. Same with the Sylvania bulbs. Same firmware now as 3 years ago and many updates later.

1 Like