Sendmail - Send email and text notifications, (notification device) no local server needed

Oh wow! That was it! I just got a message through successfully. So it was a wonky edge case. How about that. I will do some more testing, but this looks very promising.

Thank you very much @kahn-hubitat !!

3 Likes

no problem thanks for bringing a bug in my implementation to light.

2 Likes

Is there a way to get this to work with gmail and allow attachments from the habitat's file storage?

No gmail requires ssl and how would you even attach a file in habitat... there is no interface for that.

For this you might ask @ritchierich about his Gmail integration - appropriate topic is below:

2 Likes

Following up that this feature has been added to Google Calendar, Task, Reminder, and Gmail Search and Gmail Notification Device. @kahn-hubitat I am happy to work with you to get this added to your solution if interested.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a free or cheap email service that will allow forwarding without SSL to make sendmail work for me?

I am using namecheap for hosting a couple old websites and email, but apparently it is rejecting emails based on "220-we do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited" even though they give settings without SSL on them.

If you look through my posts, there’s how to setup an email forwarding service on a Synolgy NAS. The low end single drive ones are dirt cheap these days

1 Like

I saw that post. I didnt know they made cheap NAS. Do you think the really cheap ones could handle movie streaming and live tv recording for Plex? I would want to use it for something other than just a mail/notification server.

1 Like

I've streamed movies in various formats over the years from a DS212, DS218+, & DS220+. Haven't had any issues, but also haven't been streaming 4K.

Plex support, from what I remember, isn't there on lower-end models. But I haven't used Plex in ages (kids were the major ones streaming from the NAS and they have long moved out) so am not up to speed on what models do support it.

As long as they aren’t transcoding the video, yes it’s no problem at all.

I have a cheap SFF PC with an NVIDIA P400 graphics card that runs Plex, my NAS just holds files.

SMTP2GO

I am running an older surface pro for my plex and tv recording now and it works fine. I have all my movies on a SSD and so the set up works, just trying to figure out the cheapest solution for mail. I wish Hubitat did SMS. Thats about the only thing I miss from smarthings so far.

Do you think you can help me out with what goes into what settings on the configuration? I can send mail through a mail app, but cant get it to go through hubitat.

Does your SMTP server require the use of TLS? Your mail app probably supports TLS. This Hubitat app does not support TLS, because the platform doesn't permit it.

Looks like it's optional...so would need to turn it off if it is enabled.

1 Like
  1. Are you using the base64 encode of the Password for authentication?
  2. 2525 is the right port number to use. (correct)
  3. email server should be: mail.smtp2go.com (you have it correct)
  4. the from field should be a verified (in smtp2go) sender e.g. x@gmail.com
  5. your host name field should be left blank
  6. I'm not sure about this, but I think that Username should also be base64 encoded

P.S. The new GMAIL server program, will also work with any gmail address (if you can't get this working):

4 Likes

couldnt get sendmail to work. Got this to work. Verizon blocks email to text from Gmail, or severely delays them. Now trying to filter and forward emails so I can text myself. lame.

Ya well just saying it doesn't work is not helpful where are logs of you trying to use it.

Also the parameters you show above are
totally screwed so that would never work.
From and to are obviously emails and that is not what you have.

1 Like

ok here is correct configuration for smtp2go.. it does need auth and also uuencoding of the username and password.. note one confusion is th username and password used isNOT the username and password you use to log into the smtp2go site but the user name and password under sending/smtp users ..

i used port 25 but port 2525 works as well for those who have isps that block 25 (common)
also, the from address needs to be a validated from on smtp2go or you need to validate the entire domain with dns cname records. see below for link of site to encode your username and password.

ie

use this page to encrypt your username and password

2 Likes