Sending Notifications from Rule Machine Action

I have a rule that power cycles my home router when it locks up (hardware issues) using a smart plug. That's working great, but I want to receive a notification every time the rule fires (once the router is back up, of course).

From other threads on the support board here I see that SMS is no longer supported, but that there is a Notification app to send push notifications the the Hubitat mobile app. Fine by me.

Only issue is, it doesn't seem like you can directly send a notification from a rule! I could create a new Mode and trigger the notification from the mode change, but that seems clumsy and affects other rules that might rely on the existing mode. I could create a virtual button or switch and notify on the switch activation, but again this seems super cludgy and doesn't permit me to send a more specific message.

Is this a missing feature, or is there something I'm just not getting? Seems like sending a notification from a rule is an obvious use case for notifications.

1 Like

This.

You can send a notification from a Rule. Choose the action "Send, speak or log a message, Send HTTP Request". And you can create a notifier to your phone or any other notification device.

4 Likes

Rule machine...

Notification device is your phone with the Hubitat app on it

7 Likes

Perfect! Thank you @user2701 and @aaiyar for your quick help!

It was not clear to me that "Send, Speak, or Log a Message, Send HTTP Request" really meant:
"Send, or Speak a message to mobile app. Log a Message to Hub. Send HTTP Request to a network device"

The three actions really don't have much to do with each other in my mind as they involve different kinds of actions and target devices. I incorrectly inferred that all these actions involved some sort of low-level TCP/IP message.

1 Like

It's even more powerful still... "Speak" refers to media like Sonos speakers or voice assistant devices. :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, my use of it has it shout at me from Sonos and send messages to my phone.

Emergency action messages only I might add, it gets old pretty quick otherwise!

1 Like

Hubitat no longer supports sending text messages by itself. But you can use apps like Twilio, where you set up a texting account on Twilio, and then Hubitat will use that to send a text message. Same process as described, above, but you would then have another "notification device" where you send the message.

1 Like

Pushover seems to be the preeminent quasi-SMS app of choice around these parts, f I may recommend it. Works like a charm, has an excellent community driver, and lets you easily establish multiple endpoints (including Web browser).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.