Send alert when door is open

Several month ago a family member came over to let my dogs out and left the door open all day. Is it possible to make a rule that says if my door sensor is open for 5 min send me a text? If it matters I have a dome door sensor.

Thanks!

Rule, If door is open then wait 5 minutes (cancel), send notification.

Just like this except 5 minutes instead of 30

Make sure you check the "cancel on truth change" slider. This tells it to cancel the scheduled message if the door closes before the delay is finished.

1 Like

Cancel on Truth doesn't show until AFTER putting the number in and clicking off the field. Think of it as hiding behind the Minutes of Delay field. It "pops forward" after you enter a number and click on somewhere else.. like the Repeat Action words.

2 Likes

Instead of setting something up yourself in Rule Machine, you can also use Hubitat Safety Monitor. In HSM, create a "Custom"monitoring rule, then configure it how you want. Something like this should work (I'm using "speak" to get a push notification since that's how my notification service's driver works, but you can use SMS instead or another speech/notification device of your choice):

Thanks! I didn't even thing to look in safety monitor!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.