Selling my house with Hubitat vs Replacing with SmartThings

If they’re not into it, then they unplug it and it goes away. :sunglasses: (At least that’s the way mine is designed/implemented.)

I wouldn't leave my smart home stuff behind anyway - I'd want to keep it. That's one reason I never installed in-wall stuff. As it is all I have to do is unplug everything and swap the smart bulbs out for normal ones.

1 Like

This is the way! I think it will be much simpler to run an echo. That or give them the Hubitat and the email addresses of each of the old farts here that resent the comment about age, muhahahaha :joy:

I was told by the real-estate person that smart homes may look good to the buyer eventually the new owner will rip everything out and go back to standard switches when things don't work right. That is why I removed the Hubitat and all the smart devices from my Mom's home just before they started to show the home. The only smart device left is the Ecobee thermostat and I left that with one schedule called home and disconnected it from her account. The new owner should be able to handle that.

2 Likes

Do your buyers, who you’ve described as non-tech savvy, know that some of their physical light switches won’t work if their smart home hub is having issues?

What’s the current status of local execution of lighting automations with SmartThings? If my light switches were to stop working every time the ST cloud acts up, I’d be displeased with the person who set it up that way.

1 Like

bf1 actually described them as "in their 60s". No one knows if they are tech savvy.

2 Likes

Setting aside the concerns re: ageism for a moment, I would assume any home buyer is not technically savvy enough to want to fiddle with a DIY home automation system (HE or ST), particularly if light switches are no longer physically connected to lighting loads. Unless that was specifically discussed ahead of time.

2 Likes

Actually it's difficult stepping into someone else's setup even if you are competent to do your own.

5 Likes

I WAS the antenna and rotor system!

1 Like

If that's the case, It won't matter which hub they have anyway. They would just want it gone. While they try to figure out what the switches that aren't hooked up are for.

1 Like

That's why if we sell ill just make the smart home stuff negotiable. If they want it ill leave it and tack on a grand. if not I'll pull it and tack on a couple grand to have the electrician come out and put the dumb stuff back in .

With Edge drivers and Routines, it's all local; that's what I'm using at the moment.

The Smart Lighting SmartApp still requires the cloud; not sure if they will replace it once Groovy is killed off.

The app still requires the cloud.

Oh I have fond memories of that roof antenna. Remember the little stickers that you put around the dial to represent each TV station?

1 Like

^^^This...

And if doing that hoses basic use of their lights then they are going to be pissed.

I would revert things and leave them w/a "normal" home, even if it cost me some $$. You don't want to leave behind a potentially unhappy buyer. If they went poking round behind the switches and didn't know what they were doing and got hurt you could be liable. Just not a great situation.

If you do decide to leave automations and non-standard switch setups behind, then document the crap out of what you're doing and ensure that you have proof they were informed of and accepted it. If they come back later you need to have that clearly documented. I don't know how litigious people are in Australia, but at least here in the US you gotta be very careful.

If I were me, I'd give them the choice and leave it the way they want it.

5 Likes

This still makes my head swim

When we moved into our house in 1982 (bought on a foreclosure) the previous owners took all the light bulbs with them.

1 Like

I plan to do the same with my Sengled's but I will replace them with a bunch of 60 watt Edison bulbs that I have in storage. :grinning:

Some here. More on the premise that if my hub goes down I can still control all my lights. The only major wiring changes I made were two rooms with switch controlled outlets. One was totally pointless as it already has a ceiling fan with light and 3 can lights, you don't need any lamps, so I put a button controller where the useless switch was. The Den has no built in lights, but I wired the outlets hot and put a lamp on a smart plug controlled with a smart switch. When you have HA, switched outlets are more annoying that anything.

Side effect though, if I did sell I could just remove the hub and leave all the smart switches in place. I would only need to swap the den switch back to a dumb switch to do the outlets like before.

2 Likes

The rotor was a big improvement over fiddling with the rabbit ears.

Well one consideration if you offer them a choice you might end up as future permanent home tech support person. Maybe better to leave the system as is and as @rlithgow1 mentions, change email to something like the house address.. I would also remove any extra funky automations and keep simple rules like lighting.