Selecting workloads for hubs in mesh

I now have a C8 and a C8 Pro, and I thought of trying the Hub Mesh.
What is the best strategy to distribute the workloads between the two?
I thought devices on one and apps on the other. Does that make sense? If so, since they are the same radios hardware, I guess that's not a consideration, but since the Pro is more powerful, I wonder what needs more power, ~400 devices or ~150 apps? What should I put on C8, and what on C8 Pro?

There are so many factors that feed into a decision such as that..

Resiliency is one factor. You lose any one hub and you effectively have zero. For a sytem like that, you need both hubs to have anything work. That includes occasional reboots during upgrades.

I have 4 hubs and my devices are split between 3 of them in physical areas. The Rules and Apps that control those devices are on that same hub. Everything in a room, for example, is on one hub including their automations. When I upgrade that hub, just that area is down for a bit. Don't imagine that I'm pure in this regard :smiley: The areas of my home (Upstairs, Downstairs, Front) is a ZWave description because my Upstairs ZWave hub is also my Whole House Zigbee hub.

There are plenty of ideas on how to split the workload found in these forum topics.. by Protocol: Zigbee on one hub, Zwave on another. By area, as I do, and then your suggestion, devices on one hub, automations on another. Everything has been done by someone around here :smiley:

2 Likes

Very good and timely topic whenever a new hub comes out and people are faced with the prospect, sometimes for the first time, of having more than one hub at their disposal.

Like @csteele explained, this cat has been... well you get where I'm heading... For me I mostly went down the path of splitting workloads to ease pressure on my C-4. With only a C-4 I originally bought a C-7 to pair and operate my lighting rules and Zigbee devices, like Samsung buttons and contact sensors. I then bought, in a relatively short space of time, two more C-7's, one I think was second-hand, with one being for local integrations like Bond, Logitech Harmony and EcoWitt, and the other hub for cloud integrations like Google Home, my SensorPush data and Mitsubishi thermostat. When I bought a C-8, the intention was that the lighting C-7 would be migrated and C-4 could be turned off and the lighting C-7 used as my Dev hub. I've got two Dev hubs :-).

If you are like me and don't document things as much as you should, conventions and order are important, so you can easily know where things should go and where they are when you come back to find them. Within reason, try to keep things together, where it makes sense for what you are trying to achieve, e.g. I kept my lighting-only rules and automations on my lighting hub rather than splitting them across hubs.

I'm sure there are plenty of other suggestions and ways of setting it up. Also, be prepared to change, go into it with the theory you are trying a new setup and if it doesn't work for you, you are prepared to change it entirely at least once (ideally not at all).

1 Like

I have 4 hubs and each do a different set of automations...

C4 does all webcore
Another does all security devices, IE windows and doors sensors and security lights
Another does only wifi devices and the last hub does all interior lights and outdoor beauty lights.

1 Like

Yeah, moving all the wifi devices to my old C7 might be another good idea!
Thanks!

2 Likes