Seems very unstable for ZigBee with Ikea bulbs

Trying to my IKEA Tradfri bulbs, once I add a few of them (3 - 10) it just seems to lock up and will get stuck on "initializing" and nothing I do (bar a full factory reset) seems to get it past it. Are there any issues with IKEA Tradfri bulbs at all? This is a real blocker for me :frowning:

Thanks

John

Welcome to the Hubitat Community. IKEA TRÅDFRI bulbs are suspect repeaters. Some say they have success, some don’t. I had a bad experience with them dropping everything that connected through them. So I don’t pair them directly to the hub. They are only paired to my Hue Bridge, and then controlled via the Hue Integration.

IKEA TRÅDFRI Outlets and the dedicated repeater on the other hand, are quite good at repeating, and will help stability of your Zigbee network.

I would suggest removing the bulbs, shut the hub down for 20 minutes, and then wait a day for the mesh to stabilize.

Previously used them on SmartThings and had a lot of success with them pairing directly. Also via. Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. So not sure that it's related to the device specifically? Not sure why if a specific device was flakey it would cause the ZigBee implementation in HE to completely lock up?

I'm pretty sure there were reports in HA about instability with these bulbs as well. I know someone that used them and he had to remove them. He mentioned something about people using Xaomi gateways to help stabilize but he refused to try it and just removed the bulbs. This was about a year ago.

2 Likes

You could easily have one of your bulbs not work to spec that causes issues with everything else. When coming from other platforms, you will have had devices added in different orders and quantities. Until you have everything added and the mesh stabilized you can expect some instability. Do as @SmartHomePrimer suggests and force a Zigbee repair. Have a look at http://hub_ip//hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo to get an idea of how your devices are routing.

1 Like

As soon as it starts to initialise, flick the switch on the bulb, off then back on. I’ve had a lot of success with this method.

2 Likes

Like I said, I have had success there. Plenty of other stability issues with HA but I was able to add my devices without any problems.

We don't have drivers for these bulbs and currently they haven't been tested and aren't supported.

which bulbs do you have ?

Your safest bet is sengled.

They are currently closing that bulb that is supported, there is no stock of it I can find at any local / online retailer here in Aus.

Every bulb in my house, a mix is es27 Es14 GU10 bulbs.

Thanks, this seems to have helped. Have managed to add most of them without issue. Just takes a little bit of time to finish initialisation.

1 Like

Hi again, the main issue seems to be when adding multiple lights at once. In one room there are 10 downlighters off a single switch. The HE doesn't seem to pick them all up at once at all. Not normally more than 5 at a time. End up with 1/2 them connected and 1/2 them not. Has anyone had much experience with adding multiple zigbee bulbs at once?

I have 10 ikea GU10's in the kitchen, operated by 2 Hue dimmers. I grouped them in HE "groups and Scenes" app, and set up a group called Kitchen Lights and added all 10, also used the Enable Zigbee Group Messaging. It works very well.

Yeh, did exactly that in my kitchen worked great. The didn't all at at once successfully but after a bit of faffing about removing bulbs etc. I got them added. Once added they worked fine. The 10 I'm talking about are in my kids room and it's just not playing ball at all.

1 Like

My kitchen ones did give me a little pain at first, so I reset them by twisting and resetting them in situ, whilst performing the Zigbee search on my phone. Once I did that they seemed to stick. When I first paired them they were quite close to the hub, I don't know if this has helped them stick better?

The Element Classic is the new name for their "basic" ZigBee dimmable bulb. For some reason, Sengled's Aus website doesn't make it clear the bulb is ZigBee in the product page, and the linked PDF manual / spec sheets are for another member of the Element series.

I have seen no signs that their ZigBee line of smart bulbs is going away. In fact they've added new full color and brighter daylight & warm models in the past 6 months.

Both the screw and pin versions have been out of stock for a month and I cant find any at my local retailers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.