Seems tplink Kasa is end of life?

I'm seeing just the tapo range in stock in stores now in Australia so seems tplink are rolling that range out.

So any recommendations on alternatives that are reliable? Preferably with energy monitoring. I've been using the kasa drivers in hubitat (moved from the community drivers) and they have worked well... But hard to find the hardware now other than online

I'm wondering if Kasa is the North American solution for TP-Link and Tapo is the Rest of World (RoW)? I believe Kasa just released some modules in the last year or so designed to work with Apple Homekit.

Ah ok. In Australia our stores typically, but not strictly, had kasa up until recently. Unfortunately now they are tapo in those stores now.. I already had tapo camera, but as there's no integration of power plugs that are tapo l, seems I'm forced to buy online the kasa line.. which who knows how long that'll last for for local stock.

It's good to hear that kasa is still active in the north America as this means integrations are unlikely to be broken.. although it's local anyway for kasa so even more reason it's a shame Australia seem to be going tapo.

It is disappointing that TP-Link seems to be shifting more towards Tapo these days. I'm hoping that some day Tapo and Hubitat will both be able to work together locally through the magic of Matter. One can dream!

1 Like

i dont know on amazon they seem to have a new higer price generation of the plugs that support home link.. the older ones are not very cheap.. maybe that is what you are seeing.

I see kasa kp115 still on Amazon Australia, but not in stores that used to carry them. Made me wonder if it was getting phased out in Australia as online lags behind stores typically from what I have seen. Seems its not being phased out everywhere, but still potentially here in Australia.

I don't need homelink, but I thought that was either the tapo range for that or the kp125 which I thought was only sold in America

it's really a pity as the TAPO stuff doesn't do an automated timer like the KASA.
Apparently they took it out in a firmware revision. What I wanted for the Father in Law was essentially to use the TAPO as a "dead man's switch" so things would turn themselves off after X time as he turns stuff on, doesn't set a timer and then leaves it on...............
Hubitat is out of his price range

I am finalizing the Hubitat implementation of Local Tapo device control. I have figured out the security protocol and the login periods. Seems VERY stable on my Tapo Hub and Bulbs.

Code should be out this week for initial BETA and device expansion (I live in US, so limited devices are available). Release should include

• plugs (except multi-plug - need data for expansion). Will also need help in final Energy monitor design.
  • switches
  • dimming switches
  • bulbs
  • light strips limited. Need more data to implement the full functionality.
  • Hub (including activating the ring/siren functions). Need mord data to be able to select the audio output from Hubitat.
  • Motion, Contact, and simple button.
  • Temp-Humidity Sensor.
7 Likes

Great to hear. I don't have any tapo devices yet, but as it seems even Amazon doesn't have kasa in Australia anymore then my next device would have been something else.. But can now be potentially a tapo device which are quite available in stores here.

2 Likes

Really exciting news, I have several plugs and bulbs and would love to get this running.

hey Dave, will we need the Tapo hub when the integration is ready ? (I'm discussing purchasing it with the minister of finance)

A Tapo hub is only required for non-wifi tapo devices - usually sensors. Just make sure else you buy is listed as WiFi.

Of note, the hub is also an alarm that is controllable from Hubitat. A bunch of doorbell rings and sirens that I have programmed to control on-the-fly (via rule machine).

got a p110 installed now, minor pebkac issue during install (I had not installed the P110 driver), apart from that, seamless and now seeing how it goes

1 Like

Hiya. Can you direct me to the P110 driver please? I've been searching the forums but cannot find it.

Thanks

[RELEASE] TP-LINK TAPO Plug, Switch, Bulb, Hub and Robovac Integration