Seeking Advice: MOES Zigbee Smart Switches for Basement Utility Areas

I'm currently working on enhancing the functionality of two utility areas in my basement. Both lights have switches but lack neutrals. After some research, I came across the MOES Zigbee Smart Switches, 1 Gang Switch, designed to be used with or without neutrals on Amazon.com

Before making a purchase, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has had experience with these switches in conjunction with Hubitat. While I found a few mentions of MOES Zigbee Smart Switches in previous forum discussions, the images shared by users didn't quite match the switches I'm considering.

If so, I'm curious to know if anyone has developed a community driver for these switches or if the default Hubitat drivers suffice. Any insights or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

No experience with the devices themselves, but many times you can install the device in the ceiling box closest to the switch box. You'll usually find a neutral wire there and you'll have more options for the type of smart switch you can use.

There is no way to know in advance what you will receive and whether it will work using the HE inbuilt drivers or not.

If you decide to go ahead and order it, publish the device Zigbee model and manufacturer after pairing it to your HE hub.

2 Likes

Haha! So, what you're saying is, we should transform into ceiling-swinging acrobats just to operate a light switch? Sounds like a Cirque du Soleil performance waiting to happen! :man_cartwheeling: But hey, if it means having the coolest smart lighting setup in town, maybe we should start practicing our high-flying routines! :circus_tent: Thanks for the suggestion, but I think we'll stick with something a bit more grounded...literally! :smile:

1 Like

"Thank you, @kkossev, for your valuable input. I'll definitely take that into consideration. By the way, I've been utilizing many of the community drivers you've authored, and they've greatly enhanced my experience with Hubitat. Your contributions are truly appreciated. Thanks again for all your hard work!"

2 Likes

I guess I should've clicked the link and looked at the device you were considering. My mistake.

I had assumed it was something like the relay linked below. It can be installed in the ceiling box and your existing switch can be wired to it for manual control as well.

1 Like

LOL...I misunderstood your post as well at first, and got a good laugh out of thinking about looking up at a light switch mounted on the ceiling. I enjoyed the accidental humor to start my morning. :wink:

2 Likes

I have 2 switches from this company both work with HE and offer a good zigbee signal. I don't have any experience with a no-neutral setup but the listing says it supports no neutral. These are on my C4 & C7 hubs. Haven't tried on my C8 yet

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQKTCHL4/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1

No, I was referring to a physical switch. There's no room to install a relay in the ceiling box. I apologize for not clarifying earlier that I'm not interested in using a relay. Thanks for the suggestion, though; it's much appreciated.

1 Like

Do you have switches similar to the ones in my link MOES Zigbee Smart Switches, 1 Gang Switch , or are you suggesting a relay like the one you provided a link to? I should mention that due to limited space, I'm currently not considering using a relay.

No sir, but you said non-neutral so I was sharing what I know that works. Amazon reurn policy is great and if anyone can craft a driver for it, @kkossev is the right guy.
Many of the "moes" devices are Tuya, which mostly work with HE, but no guarantees.

I know you said relays are out, but man in terms of strengthening the mesh, those relays work very well and if they don't fit in ceiling box, put in switch box

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, it doesn't meet my needs. This relay is designed for dimmable lights, whereas I'm using non-dimmable LED tubes. Additionally, the device's footprint is too large to fit into either box. Lastly, the cost exceeds my budget, at $39.99 USD plus $13.64 USD for shipping and import charges to Canada, totaling around $75.00 CAD. Whereas the switch I was looking at is under $50.00 CAD.

There are a lot of different Moes branded switches supported by community drivers, and many of them work with the stock HE drivers, so choosing the Moes switch should not be a big risk.

1 Like