Second Hubitat

This question may be answered elsewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Right now I have 75 devices on the Hubitat. At what point should I consider getting a second Hubitat? If I link too many devices to the current Hubitat - which also is responsible for 20+ rules - Do I run the risk of it starting to run slow or failing to perform rules?

The answer to this question is "It depends on many factors". Once you define your unique situation, perhaps others with similar setups can assist with their personal experience.

It depends on (but not limited to or in this order):

1. Hub Model (C4, C5, C7) as the CPU, radio and memory capabilities are different
  2. Devices:
    1. Communication Protocol (Zigbee or Z-Wave)
    2. Capabilities, for example sensors, switches, locks, multi-purpose, virtual, etc..
    3. Manufacturer (how intensive/chatty their products are, or Security inclusion requirement, etc )
    4. Powered or battery
    5. Number of Repeaters
  3. Home wall structure (old, new, metal, conduit, etc) and distances of the devices to the hub
    • This could impact a need for a second hub
  4. Names of the intended applications (some apps are more hub intensive than others)
  5. Other wireless hubs in the same radio frequency
  6. Luck of the Network Mesh

Some HE users have over 100+ devices on a single hub, and others split out their devices across multiple hubs by communication protocol and applications...

I have two HE hubs for my larger 30 year old home just because I purchased a C5 to start with and then a C7 cause it was new and faster. As it turns out, the C5 is better for handling some select motion sensors that the C7 cannot accomodate, like Zooz 4-1 and Fibaro sensors. The C7 is lightening fast for my complex rules, applications and switches/sensors/contacts/alarm, etc.

Go figure!

4 Likes

I agree with @KurtSanders. Depends on your use-case.

I believe some here have well over 200 devices running with no issue. I prefer multiple hubs because I feel it not only reduces resource overheard on individual hubs but also helps reduce mesh issues.

https://community.hubitat.com/search?q=multiple%20hub

I have run multiple hubs by location - 2 C-4 hubs in 2 different areas of the house (main floor/upstairs) and that worked great. When the C-7 came out decided to migrate all my Z-Wave devices to it to take advantage of the newer 700 Series ZW Radio. Had a C-5 on hand so used that for Zigbee devices. My reasoning being the C-7 and C-5 Zigbee radios are the same/similar. For giggles also re-used one of the old C-4's to be my "cloud app / network devices" hub. So far other than some minor issues this setup is working very well. Have about 59 devices on the C-7, 77 on C-5 and about 10 devices (lutron + 1 hubmesh device) on the cloud hub.

The other thing I am doing to further reduce resource load is I have moved all my rules from RM to an external system running Node-RED. I feel it gives me greater control over my environment and allows me greater flexibility for connectivity etc.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for your time.