Schlage Lock Batteries Dying

I have a Schlage BE469 that has worked pretty well since I migrated over to Hubitat, but I've had some issues with batteries not lasting very long (a few months which isn't terrible but my goal would be 6-8 months like it used to perform on Wink). I've read on the forums to use High performance Alkaline batteries and not lithium, so I started using them but it yielded about the same results. After further research I saw that people are suggesting the short battery life is due to poor signal strength from the lock to the hub, so I ended up buying an Aeotech 6 range extender and placed it ~10-12ft, directly in front of my door lock. The batteries died about 2 weeks ago (and were promptly replaced) and then I got the Aeotech 6 a day or two after. The batteries just died again. I don't know if it's a fluke, but I really hope that I'm not going to have to replace batteries every couple of weeks.

How do I know that my Aeotech is actually extending the range for the door lock? In HE it doesn't provide much info, just that it's powered on. Should I try changing the location of the range extender?

Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention, HE reported the battery level as 100, but then it died. So no notice of a dying battery or change in percentage.

When my 469s batteries start dying abnormally fast I’ll replace them and do a zwave repair. Usually, for me, it’s a sign of my mesh getting flakey for some reason. I need to do this once every 6-8 months or so. Otherwise I’ve been good for a while after fighting with these for ages when I migrated over in Spring 2019.

1 Like

One simple item often forgotten. With the changing seasons, doors expand and alignments change. This can cause the locking to no longer be smooth and may require a slight re-alignment. I test this by opening the door, seeing how the locking feels, then closing and seeing how it feels. Any significant different will drain the battery at a high pace.

4 Likes

I believe someone here (thinking @aaiyar ) said if the lock has trouble locking it will go into "high power" mode, and that kills battery. Like stated by @djgutheinz it could go into this mode during a season change. You may even need to exclude and re-include the device to get it out of this mode (if it is in it).

2 Likes

One other point about batteries for door locks.
I use the Lithium Ion Energiser Ultimate. Longest lasting battery I've ever used.

I've noticed in some of my locks that one (out of the four) batteries has gone, even though the rest of them are still good. So, you have to test each one.

Yeah it's sometimes easy to overlook the simple solutions. However, I hadn't noticed any difference and just did a test it's locking the same way if the door is opened or closed.

See what I read was the opposite. Don't use lithium ion and instead use Alkaline batteries.

1 Like

I just put in new batteries and I am running a Z Wave repair since I hadn't done that since I installed the new Aeotech repeater.

From the BE469 owner's manual: "Use four high-quality alkaline AA batteries for replacement. Lithium batteries may cause undesirable operation."

2 Likes

I think the battery thing is mostly so battery reporting is correct. In other words, it was calibrated for alkaline and not lithium or rechargeable.

I use high quality rechargeable low self discharge batteries (Eneloop and similar), and I get about 6-8 weeks on a charge, which is less than when I was on alkaline, but the cost savings is worth it.

1 Like

Yeah and that makes sense, I was using rechargable before which is easier but they would get down to about 40% and then die.

What is confusing here is the last reporting state of the lock was 100% and then the next thing I know batteries are dead.

The same thing just happened to me!!
Energizer lithium AA, expensive as hell, dies in 8 months, battery level never moved from 100%. I guess due to lithium's discharge curve(steady then crash). Also the lithiums seemed to discharge VERY unevenly, some at 0.5V, some at1.2V, some at 0.8V
I got a year out of regular duracells. With the lithiums, the lock sounded like it had a turbo charger and only lasted 7-8 months. My lock is 12 ft unobstructed line of sight from the hub, and 4 repeaters in the same family room. The lock aligns perfectly, I made sure of it and the lock bolt never touches the strikeplate or door frame.
Battery reporting on HA devices sucks in general. Set a schedule and change the batteries, especially for a lock. If my wife knew the door was unlocked all night, I'd be on the curb with a box of sensors. I need to follow my own advice and change batteries on a schedule.

Well, when leaving the house this morning it barely had enough power to lock the door, It's still reporting to HE 100% battery. So I guess we made some progress? Last time it was 2 weeks and this time it is 3 weeks :crazy_face:

My next thought is to remove/exclude the lock and then re-add it to Hubitat? I honestly don't know what else to do besides replacing the lock. Batteries lasting 2-3 weeks is not going to work for me.

I just bought and installed a Kwikset 888 for the back door and I'm going to keep an eye on that to see how long the batteries last.

I have the same problem here, but I have 2 of them, one drains one is fine, 6 feet from the extender in both situations. I stopped putting batteries in it for now, was hoping the C7 will be better. Waiting for the conversion option before getting it setup.

1 Like

Most locks have dual modes for locking the lock. A low power mode for normal operation and a high power mode when it needs to force its self closed because of misalignment or improper pairing with door open and the lock calibrated fully extended and ends up hitting on the inside when the lock engages.

Check your fitment and see that the lock can engage easily with the thumb twist and adjust the strike plate if needed. Also listen for when the lock engages and see if you hear the motor fighting resistance as it engages. It sounds like the motor is slowing down as it is locking if it is. If you hear this then try repairing the lock so it can properly calibrate.

Also check to see how many times your lock is locking and unlocking and if you actually need it to trigger. Some days we don't leave the house all day so need to unlock daily for us. I typically only unlock on arrival rule so unlock I keep as a manual activity otherwise. Also when we do go out we may come back in and out several times when unloading groceries or whatnot so I set the re-lock to 10 minutes.

I also have a BE469 that wasn't reporting battery even with Alky's. Removing, factory resetting the lock, and then re-pairing it fixed it for me.

2 Likes

@lewis.heidrick I appreciate the feedback - I think factory resetting it may be the best option. The only automation I have setup is for auto-locking when the door is left unlocked for 15 minutes. So when we don't leave the house the door lock stays as is.

This past weekend I did re-do my strike plates so that they move freely (I had to do the back door in order to install the smart lock on the back door)

Both of mine move freely and maybe opens 5 times a day. Something else is up.

1 Like

Make sure the door is closed when you pair it so it can properly calibrate. It's an easy step to overlook.

Yep, I noticed that in the Kwikset instructions when I installed it this weekend. Thanks