Schlage FE599 - No Drivers?

Hello Everyone! This week, I have successfully migrated all 40 some devices from Vera to HE. Everything works fine except: My Schlage FE599. It worked great with IRIS, and on Vera.
I pulled the lock from the door, replaced the batteries, and did a factory reset. Then entered my own PIN which it accepted and worked.
Then started the Exclusion Process first under HE with the lock responding with several red flashes, so it's clean. Then started the inclusion under generic zwave with locks. It beat happily and went green, but the HE kept reflecting inclusion until it timed out. Looked at the list devices, and not listed. Redid the exclusion and was surpised the lock responded happily green, while the HE interface reflected success in removing "unidentified z-wave device". After several attempts, I gave up.
I'm assuming, based upon the long list of unhappy users on here, and the fact that Schlage is not even listed as a supported smart lock, that I will have to discard it and invest in another.
Before I toss it, thought I would try to reach out to see if anyone has created, and has the driver for this lock. It appears HE sees it, but never completes the pairing, but the lock seems to think it has..LOL.
Michael

WIth those older locks come older firmware. Also if I remember correctly the 599 is a 300 series lock which even though is supposed to be backwards compatible with the 700 series chip, it often doesn't talk right to one another and doesn't pair. You can try pairing within a foot of the lock to see if that helps (if it's trying to transmit the whisper that would solve it) With the b469's the main issue is any firmware below 7.10 is a crap shoot. So much so those locks while still working with hubitat are no longer on the "official" compatibility list.

1 Like

I can't say why yours isn't working but I can say that I have a FE599 and it has worked great. It just so happens the one FE599 I have is close to the hub it is paired with. That seems to be a common issue with the Schlage locks. You need to pair the lock close to the hub and it needs a good Z-wave signal. If you have a weak Z-wave mesh it will be problematic.

I am using the Schlage FE599/BE369 lock driver.

1 Like

Yep Schlage even with Vera I had to bring the hub to the lock and pair, didn't matter that I had three Z-Wave switches by the front door there was no way of paring through the mesh. Vera even included a battery pack to use while you took the hub from device to device to pair them.

Thanks for your reply. I pulled the lock from the door, and sat within a few feet of the hub. It thinks, (by flashing orange, then green), that it has successfully paired. But like I had indicated, the HE inclusion mode continues spinning and times out. Ironically, it has internally paired something, because if I put the lock into exclusion, the HE responds with "removed unidentified device". I believe the issue is that I'm using the generic lock zwave drive because Schlage is no longer listed, and since it doesn't complete the inclusion, I can't change the driver on the device page. Again thanks! Michael

Hey thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, because Schlage is no longer a supported device, so I can't choose that driver. So I used the generic z-wave under locks. It's funny, that the lock thinks it is paired, (flashing orange, then green), and HE has brought it in, but it doesn't complete the pairing. My thought is it's because the generic driver won't handle it. That's why I have to put the HE into exclusion and then the lock again flashes orange to green, and HE says it has removed the unidentified device. I performed all of these actions, within about 4 feet of the hub. If it would at least get to the completion of pairing, I could then change the driver to the one you suggested. Unfortunately, probably because of so many issues with Schlage, they have removed it from the list of locks. I was hopeful that HE developers could tell me which other lock driver would possibly work. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I have always loved this lock, and Schlage just discontinued it last year.

Has nothing to do with the driver. You could set any driver and that wouldn't affect pairing. The issue is the handshaking between the lock and the hub, driver is irrelevant until it comes time to sending commands to lock and unlock etc. If it's not pairing and you had it within a couple of feet of the hub, likely it's an encryption issue or a firmware in the lock issue and they can't agree what to do. As I said, that lock is more persnickety (especially older versions) than the be469

1 Like

Don't know if this helps, but if you are looking to replace the lock, Schlage zigbee locks are supported and work great on HE.

You can after a successful pairing but that's the key obviously

1 Like

Wow, ok, thanks for the clarification. I started my knowledge of home automation with IRIS many many years ago, then when they decided to shut it down, migrated to Vera. Now that they discontinued that hub, and pushing the newer ezo hubs, (besides tired of the continued messages that hub was down), I made the right decision to go with Hubitat, and love it.
There are many advanced users on this community, many pay grades above me, lol, so I'm still learning. But you added to that knowledge about the drivers and I appreciate it! Michael

1 Like

So many here more knowledgeable than I and I get corrected a lot lol. I've been round the horn with Schlage Locks though. Home Depot carries the be469's usually and you can take them to the door department and get them rekeyed for free so that they're the same key for all locks. Pair the z-wave ones next to the hub though and you may need a beaming repeater nearby depending how the lock behaves (this goes for any z-wave lock)

1 Like

LOL, well I do appreciate the info. Fortunately, I can put user codes into the lock and still unlock it from the outside, I just won't be able to add it to the automation.
On another note, I don't understand why HE driver for the Centralite keypad doesn't assume hitting the home key means I am home, and don't want the alarms armed. That's the whole point of having the Home Key on the keyboard. HE programs it to be Home and Armed, LOL. So I am just suppose to enter my pin, and that disarms everything, but the HE mode remains Away. So I added rules that says Home means Home and disarm. So I still have to hit the mode on my dashboard for such.
Anyway, thanks so much and have a great day!

Might wanna hit @bcopeland up for that one

1 Like

I have an old FE-599 and it's working better than ever. When I started migrating from my C-4 systems to C-7 systems I left the lock behind because I was afraid it would be a problem. I got every thing else migrated and realize the lock was the only device left on the C-4. I figured what the heck, I'll move the hub to be near (4-5 feet) the lock. I had an ethernet drop not too far away so I went ahead with the move. It works better than it has ever worked (including when I was on ST). There are only four devices on the C-4 - all Z-Wave - all in the same room (my workshop). Zigbee is turned off. LCM works. When I use a code to enter the notification works. I'm going to keep running this way until either the C-4 dies or the FE-599 dies.

1 Like