Schlage FE599 Lock Ignoring Keypad Events

That is indeed odd. I've got nothing for you. Hopefully the Hubitat Team can assist you.

Can you enable debug logging in the driver, then oprpen a live logging window, then lock and unlock the lock physically, then post a screen shot of the live logging page with the lock selected.

Tried that. Enable debug logging was on by default. Opened logging in a separate tab. And then locked and unlocked from the device, and from the device window (same one where this screenshot came from).

I need the live logs screen shot, not the driver.
Live logs are not the event logs...
Live logs:

I notice you have not enabled lock code encryption - that's different from my configuration as I have that enabled. Just a difference I wanted to note.

OK. Had to turn off logging and turn it back on the device page. That made the lock show up in the live log list. And the 3 warnings showing the config showed up.

I unlocked it with the keypad, then unlocked from the inside panel of the device, then locked it again. Then unlocked and locked it again from the device page. Then I hit refresh. The other items showed up only after hitting refresh. None of the other actions resulted in any logs.

Enabled encryption. No change. Worth a shot, but doesn't seem to be the fix.

Thanks.

So there were no debug messages in the live logs until you hit refresh?
If that's true, the lock just isn't able to get data back to the hub.
Repeater and or interference.
How many zwave devices do you have setup doing energy reporting, and how often do they report?

4 z-wave devices are reporting energy usage. They all seem to be reporting every 5 minutes.

At the moment, the hub is sitting on the floor beneath the door lock. I haven't moved it since setting it up there for pairing. I keep meaning to move it, but since you are so actively responding, I didn't want to take the time to take it offline.

I actually don't have a ton of devices at this point. 4 Neo plugs (the ones reporting energy), one Hue hub w/5 bulbs, a Sylvania bulb, a GE dimmer switch, and the lock.

EDIT: BTW - thanks for taking a look and responding so quickly. You guys rock!

Hey guys.. I did some testing with one of my FE599's. Mine have worked good, but for a time I ran a ported SmartThings driver instead of stock, but switched back a few weeks ago.

If I factory reset the lock then connect and configure() with the stock driver I do not get any reports when the lock is controlled locally. I also do not get instant feedback from the lock when controlling it from Hubitat.

If I switch to the ST driver and configure() I get instant reporting when controlled from Hubitat and reports when the lock is controlled locally, including code slot information. This reporting remains functional if I switch back to the native driver.

Unfortunately I don't have time to dig in further, but it does appear that the stock driver is not setting up lock reporting properly.

Sounds like we're missing an association group in the stock driver, however we already have group 1 and 2 which I beleive is what the st driver includes.

If someone cares to lend me one of these for a few weeks I'm sure we could sort it out.

Problems with this device are approaching the point of being a show stopper. The device is now completely non-responsive to the hub. So not only do I get no notifications when someone unlocks the lock, now I can't unlock it from devices, or a dashboard. I'm sure I can try to remove and re-add the device. But I have no way to explain this device disappearing. We need this device to be reliable.

This functionality was the primary reason we were with Iris. If this device isn't supported better than this, we aren't going to be able to stay with this system.

I can ship you a kwikset 910 loaner if you want me to look at your specific lock, not much else I can do.

A disappearing lock is the a mesh issue and is probably not anything that they can solve for you.

However, I do have a suggestion based on what worked for me.. Install this driver which I ported from SmartThings and use it ONLY to configure the lock. Once it's working you can safely switch back to the stock driver.

Here's what do... With your lock connected, install this driver, change your FE599 to use it (Z-Wave Lock). Open up the debug logs in a seperate window, then click "Configure". You should see the lock communicating with the hub.

When the lock is finished communicating, try unlocking and locking the lock. If you do not see anything in the logs, then your lock is not communicating in the Z-Wave mesh. If you do, then try locking and unlocking, first from the Hubitat UI, and later from the locks keypad. You should see the lock reporting each event correctly, and instantly.

If you do, switch back to the native driver and leave it be. There's something in the ST lock driver that sets these locks up correctly to report local lock events. I know that the Hubitat team is working to identify it. In the meantime, see if this process will work.

This dramatically improves the responsiveness of my Schlage lock.

The lock/unlock changes are quickly showing up in the logs and the status on the device page is being updated very quickly.

Thank you!

1 Like

Do you still need one?

yes

With the driver mine is working too, I just haven't had the time to look into why this wasn't working.
I just thought I had an older firmware.

I even tried this on a BE369 Schlage Lock and it worked Great. Before it wouldn't show lock or unlocked unless I refreshed manually.

I think the guts of the BE369 are the same as the FE599. You see the two model numbers co-mingled throughout the (slim) Schlage documentation.

1 Like