Schlage FE599 Lever Lock new replacement option (JFE109)

FYI...

I have had a Schlage FE599 Z-Wave lever lock on my garage door for a few years now. The first one seemed to last about two years and Schlage replaced it under warranty. The current one started having issues responding to commands and reporting events. (I would have to take the internal metal cover/plate off for it to work reliably.) Ironically, it is right around the same two year mark. I called Schlage for troubleshooting. They felt it was a warranty issue and informed me that they no longer make or have any stock of the FE599. They did however offer a Dexter (made by Schlage) JFE 109 Z-Wave lever lock.

This Dexter (made by Schlage) JFE109 is a nice lever lock. It is not advertised or listed as a product on their site. You can only find FAQ material on it. The electronics (read Z-Wave radio antenna) are housed in the interior portion of the device, which is an upgrade from the FE599, which housed the electronics in the exterior portion of the unit. This has resulted in improved communications to my Z-Wave network, since my garage door is steel fire-rated (code). Batteries are also easier to change, since you don't have to disassemble the interior housing to get to them.

I am using the built-in Schlage FE599 driver with it and that works for all except one of its functions. There is a special function you can enable on the lock for override of auto-lock, which when interacted with, results in an "unknown" lock state. I think this driver cannot understand the lock state and/or alarm state of the lock. I seldom would care about that, so ignoring it. I also tried the Generic ZWave Lock driver and it seemed to work for the most part.

Since there are very few options left on the market for ZWave/Zigbee lever-only locks, I thought I would drop this note to let you all know there is an undocumented option that works fairly well.

2 Likes

Glad you posted this. I have an old FE599 and I know it must be near end of life. I haven't been able to find any suitable replacement. This may do the trick!

1 Like

Maybe @bcopeland can update the driver. Can you post the fingerprint for the lock?

Here is the fingerprint for that Dexter (made by Schlage) JFE 109 BIL:
fingerprint mfr:"003B", prod:"0004", deviceId:"6109", inClusters:"0x5E,0x55,0x98,0x9F,0x6C"

@bcopeland

Were you able to join it to a C-8 hub? I still have the FE599 on my oldest hub, a C-4, due to concerns over trying to join it to a hub with the newer Z-Wave chip. It would be great if I could join it to a C-8, then I could retire the FE599 and the C-4 Hub!

You could join it to a c5

All my hubs are C5.

Bummer. I have the one C-4, a C-7, and two C-8's. I think I got rid of the rest. I was hoping I could use the new lock with a C-8 hub . . .

Looking at the product information at z-wave alliance I see Z-Wave version 7.11.1 - does that mean the 700 series chip? If so, "should" it be able to pair with a Hubitat C-7 or C-8 hub?

It's z-wave plus version 2 so yeah it should be fine.

I may give it a try. I would really like to retire that old C-4.