Schlage FE599 and C7

Yeah, I dumped Smartthings officially last year after I finally got everything onto my C5. Then last month, I decided I wanted to integrate the Ring Keypad into my security routines. Oops! Won't work with the C5. So I got a C7 and have almost everything moved over to it.

I've been reading another thread about keeping cloud and Alexa stuff on a separate hub so I think for now I'll just keep the lock on the C5, as it works fine there. That and my Ring Doorbell are the only physical devices I have left on it.

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear you're having the same issues. The FE599 is a very nice looking lever lock.

My gen 2 doorbell logs when the button is pushed. You can use log entries to trigger automations. My only issue with the camera portion is the doorbell goes to sleep which causes display errors in the log until it wakes up.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll test it out. Mine is a Ring 2 that I got in 2019 so I'm guessing that means gen 2.

I recently set up my harmony hub and remote and had to capture the codes for the bulb and socket buttons from the logs, so this would be something similar to that?

well you;d specify the string in the log as a trigger

1 Like

OK, that would be great. I want away from anything cloud based as much as possible, although in reality there will probably always be some cloud element involved for some things. Not sure if I'll get time to mess around with it much until after the holiday's now but I'll definitely reply back and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Well, to be fair, the ring integration is cloud based. If you want a doorbell cam that isn't there are far more elegant solutions available. For me my ring 2 is simply to talk if possible to who's outside, I bought it way before hubitat came into my life. I find it irritating because by the time we're notified someone is on the porch (lets say a delivery driver) by the time the cam comes up on my phone they're getting into their vehicle. Probably this year I will be abandoning that in favor of something else. I use a local NVR for all my video recording and that gets offloaded every 5 mins to the cloud for backup (30 day rotation). My primary cams throughout are foscams.

Ok I'll share my FE599 firmware version for posterity if it helps.

I don't see it on the back plate. But SmartThings is reporting the FW version as 43.37

Not sure if that helps. Again mine hangs every time on initializing. Factory reset. Exclude, etc. I have tried many different hoop jumps. Sadly nothing.

After failed pairings have you checked for ghosts in your z-wave details page?

Yes, and I removed them before each attempt.

1 Like

Not sure then, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else can chime in.

These aren't on the supported list, but still they should pair I would think. Maybe @bcopeland would have insight as to why they seemingly time out when trying to be included...

It was also pointed out elsewhere that that is a 14 year old lock that hasn't been updated since 2008. It's quite possible it's 300 Series lock and/or the firmware just won't play nice with the 700 series SDK. There are firmware issues with the be469 pre 7.10 firmware that behaves similarly.

2 Likes

Correct. At best it is zwave 300-series. It may be 100-series for all I know.

I’ve talked to Allegion/Schlage - there are no plans to update the firmware in this lock. So I hope they make a new zwave+ Lever Lock in the future.

2 Likes

That may all be true. Sad thing is I bought it new 2 years ago and they still sell them many places. When I bought it SmartThings folks said, as long as you have Aeotec 6 Repeaters nearby it will work. It did.

SmartThings will now have to be a Wi-Fi bridge for just this one device. Glad I moved over before the Groovy death. My virtual switch (to Allow Alexa routines to change lock state) in SmartThings is using their new fangled Edge garbage. So I should be ready. That is, until they go out of business.

1 Like

Interestingly I had one of these locks at my old house via SmartThings and moved and only just tried to join it to my new Hubitat setup. I noticed people were saying this Schlage lock worked with the C5 hub, just not the C7.

Sure enough, it didn't join (timed out initializing and that's how I found this thread) but it did show up in the Z-Wave radio, just not in Hubitat. I noticed it joined with S0 security and I had a similar issue with the older non-700 series Zooz 4-in-1 sensors. Their firmware couldn't deal with the C7 security handshake and joined incorrectly with S0 security and it burned through batteries and caused all kinds of Z-Wave network issues unless joined properly. The answer to that issue was to add a secondary PC controller and do a Network Wide Join via that secondary controller to add it to the C7.

It joined successfully to my C7:

The process is mentioned here

1 Like

The fe599 is a 300 series chipset and because schlage won't update it's firmware it has issues with the 700 and above series chips. So your experience won't change. The 4-in-1 will also still have an issue. but the nice thing is is that you can migrate everything over from the c5 to the c8 and chances are it will work for the lock (you still need to pair the 4-in-1 through a secondary controller without security though)

@rlithgow1 : Can you please help me understand how to do this using Rule Machine? ie, when I first set up a rule, the first dropdown asks me to "Select capability for new trigger event." Which of the dropdown options do I select? Is there a thread somewhere with an example? I've been searching the forums for how to do this, but have not found anything, but did find this comment!

The easiest way is to download @bptworld 's event engine.

The easiest way is to download @bptworld 's event engine.

@rlithgow1 : Thanks. Took a look at that but it says it is "Deprecated" due to the release of WebCore. So two questions:

1. Will webcore do the same thing?
  2. Are either or both totally local for this function? I was under the impression that webcore requires an internet connection, but I could be wrong as fundamentally I really don't understand webcore...

Both are local. Webcore is very much like rule machine in it processes rules. Event engine works fine so I see no reason not to use it.