Schlage Encode WiFi updates to trigger action?

Can I pair it outside of the door then? Otherwise I'm going to need to find a long Ethernet cable to get the Hubitat within 3 feet of my door -- that seems onerous considering the door is 3 feet wide. Then once it's paired it can be farther away from the Hubitat and other Z-Wave devices? I could put a switch on either side of the door; it wasn't the plan for this proof of concept, but the lock is the linchpin in this setup, so whatever it takes to get a working setup.

Thanks for the advice!

Why not pair the lock next to the Hubitat and then install it in the door?

My suggestion wouldโ€™ve been the same as @bobbyDโ€™s. Get the zigbee Schlage - the exact model is BE468GBAK.

2 Likes

As @aaiyar Pair it before installing. If you've already installed it it's not hard to remove. Also if you have a failed pairing, STOP! Check your z-wave settings page for ghosts (there will be no routes in the routing column) Remove them and either exclude the lock or factory reset it. This is critical for both pairing as well as your overall mesh.

I'll try to pair it outside of the door (though Schlage's instructions call for pairing it after you install it).

I wasn't able to locate the Zigbee version either locally or on Amazon -- supply chain issues I suppose -- which is why I went with the Z-Wave. I have faith, and a 30 day return policy from Home Depot. The Hubitat and some switches arrives today, so I'll install the lock last to make sure that there's as many other Z-Wave devices as possible to give it a strong signal.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Here's the Amazon link for future reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Deadbolt-Camelot-Certified/dp/B07H3NQH53/

1 Like

Thanks for the link, but the Zigbee version doesn't come in brushed nickel. :frowning:

Donโ€™t go to an extraordinary effort unless you encounter problems. I recently installed a Schlage BE469IR z-wave more than 20 feet from the door and had no problems.

I put in 4 dimmers and two switches (one with a slave, but it's my understanding slaves don't relay), and then put the lock in the door (after swapping out the tumbler with the old one so that I don't need a new key) and it paired up without issue, even using the "secure" join. Worked great, just had to tell Hubitat that it's a Schlage BE469 because it came up as a generic lock, but even then it worked fine for lock/unlock events.

I made a simple rule so that when it's unlocked the lights go to max and when it's locked they go to off, so that's 99% of what I want... Now I need to figure out how to run that rule only when the maid's code is entered, and upon them leaving to reset the dimmers to my preferred levels (maids get max brightness). Hopefully I can figure that out, otherwise I'll be starting a new thread. :smile:

Thanks all!

3 Likes