Schlage Connect Z Wave Door Lock

I don't think they have ever dropped another device. I think this was an unusual circumstance, and they probably would not have removed except for the fact that there were a few very vocal people complaining about the lock performance. So as to not give the impression Hubitat endorsed these locks, it was easier to just remove them from the list.

And yes they can and do work for many people. Mine are flawless in the 18 months or so I have had them on Hubitat. And mine are the older non-plus Zwave and all 3 locks have the firmware version that supposedly causes issues.

Nobody can explain why people like me have excellent experience with these, and others cannot make them work at all. Maybe someday there will be a fix for these people, who knows?

And as usual, Ashok beat me to it.

I just spent trying to re-pair a BE469NX yesterday for a good hour until I gave up. It was previously paired in HE but had to reset it. I had the hub right next to it and did all ritual of exclusion and inclusion with a hub reboot somewhere in the middle. It just wouldn't take.

I gave up and will try it again next weekend. I'm afraid I'm wearing out the micro usb port on my hub so I will get a POE splitter, save the poor port some wear and tear... and maybe me of some aggravation. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Well, neonturbo, I have had 2 Schlage Connect locks running for 4+ years with a Smartthings hub and have had ZERO problems. They were discovered and included in my network within seconds and never once had a problem in all these years. I bought the Hubitat hub for my vacation home and attempted to install a new Schlage lock. The Hubitat could not even find and include the lock after numerous attempts. Now, the comment someone made saying, "Well, if you don't want to use the Hubitat hub you don't have to." GREAT! I just spent $100+ on a hub I can't use on the most simple of tasks, a door lock. Not a great first day with my Hubitat hub. Maybe I should have bought another ST hub??

Schlage Connect should support SmartStart, as does the Hubitat App. Generally the easiest way to add in a stubborn piece of hardware….

2 Likes

As others have mentioned earlier in this thread - if you take a look at the list compatible devices, schlage devices are not listed. The reason they were taken off the list originally was all the issues HE users where having. There are a ton of older threads about this..

This also means that trying to connect them, while possible is not guaranteed.

Despite similarities the Hubitat is not a SmartThings clone so cannot be expected to do exactly everything ST can do. Of course ST cannot do everything HE can do either.. all local processing for example. Also the Smart Things platform has changed hands (Aeotec) and might be even less capable/flexible in the future.. :man_shrugging:

I now prefer Zigbee locks over Z-Wave - to me they are much more reliable/responsive. I say this knowing that others have had good success with their Z-wave locks especially Yale.

Definitely try what @thebearmay suggests - using SmartStart.. Would be curious to see if that works.

edit: One other suggestion - if you get the locks paired successfully check out the community app "Reliable Locks" - if you experience some flakiness this can help..

2 Likes

Welcome to the Hubitat forums!

So a few things:

• Which Hubitat hub is this, C5, C7?
  • What firmware update is Hubitat on? There have been some significant changes in recent firmwares.
  • Which exact model of Schlage Connect, there are Zwave and Zwave plus versions.
  • Did you pair these last after other Zwave devices, or are these the first thing you tried? Were you successful pairing anything else in other words?
  • Do you have repeater devices (dedicated repeaters or line powered Zwave devices)?
  • Did you shut off the Smartthings hub while trying to pair these with Hubitat?
  • And did you try pairing these very close (less than a foot) from Hubitat? I recently upgraded to the newer C7 hub and one lock paired in place, the other in the same room as the hub, and another I had to practically lay the lock on top of the hub. Not sure the difference, they are all the same model and approximate age lock.
  • I found it necessary to do a full factory reset and NOT just an inclusion on the locks to get them to join.
  • Similarly, did you run an exclusion on the lock before trying to include to remove any/all old hub stuff from the lock and make it ready to include? Did the hub say "unknown device excluded" when you did the exclusion?

I don't think anyone has said that yet. But the Schlage lock has numerous complaints on ALL hubs, if you search the Smartthings forums they even have a reputation over there too. You can find complaints with Wink, Vera, and pretty much every hub. So it isn't just Hubitat that sometimes has issues with certain setups in certain enviornments.

And unfortunately Schlage won't update the firmware on these locks to make them work. They won't back any of these smart locks with any kind of support or guarantee. So despite how good these are in some ways, I will NEVER buy another one of their products, and I will tell everyone I know to not buy their crap. And I have purchased dozens of their locks (smart and otherwise) over the past 30+ years.

With that being said, most people are able to get the locks to join the Hubitat hub after doing a few basic things like I outline above (full reset, pair close, exclude first etc).

2 Likes

Only on the latest models. These could be (very likely are) non-plus locks if @dtc was using them for some time on Smartthings.

3 Likes

I have the BE468/BE469 Schlage Locks, and I remember when first adding them, I had to move my Samsung Smartthings hub over to Wifi, plug it into an extension cord near the lock and hold it within THREE FEET of the lock.

My Hubitat C4 and C7 each had no problem "seeing" these locks from the basement network pegboard over the normal Z-Wave wavelengths, but I do have several of the cheap "Greenwave" power strips acting as Z-Wave repeaters.

In Schlages' favor, they took in a complaint I had about one lock being unresponsive to commands from the hub when the other 2 were responsive, and they sent me a whole new lock, not just a circuit board, as I asked. So they DID honor their warranty, at least once.

1 Like

I finally got my Schlage locks to connect with the hubitat. I installed the locks several months ago and attempted many many times to include them to no avail. I gave up and figured I would just live with it. Today I came across the user manuals for the locks and saw the QR code on the back and decided to try the SmartStart in Zwave tools. Clicked SmartStart...took a few secs to realize I had to click the scan in the upper right. I scanned the QR code and it created a pending entry. Based on docs I went and disconnected an d reconnected the battery on the lock and waited. Nothing seemed to happen...the pending entry was still in the SmartStart List. I happened to go to my device list and noticed a device named "Device" that was created at about the time i did SmartStart. The device type was not a lock so I decided to try assigning it the Schlage lock type...BINGO! the lock/unlock buttons were now there and I was able to use them to operate the lock. I will just take this one sentence to say how horrible the app and user interface are and leave it at that. I went back to the SmartStart tool and the pending item was still there...I deleted it (this did not affect the lock device I setup in the app). Also note that I did this with 2 locks so I was able to repeat the process...although on the second lock it took me about 15 tries to get the SmartStart scanner to recognize the QR code...when it finally did I followed the process I described.

I don't have a Schlage lock (mine are Yale) but there certainly is an extraordinary amount of voodoo swirling around those locks. :slight_smile:

I don't believe I've read your particular method before, but Yea.. a method to add to the collection!! :smiley:

I must be the oddball here. I had 2 BE469NX locks that paired effortlessly to my C-5. I replaced the Z-Wave modules with Z-Wave Plus modules (thus making them BE469ZP), and those paired effortlessly to my C-7, which replaced the C-5. The only thing I had to do to make them work reliably is to add a Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 repeater within a few feet of each lock, on the advice of April Brandt. Since replacing the modules with Z-Wave Plus, the batteries now last about a year.

1 Like

@672southmain glad it worked for you...definitely seems to be hit or miss. Regarding the repeater...based on articles I read when I bought the locks I installed a zwave repeater about 3ft from the front door to ensure a solid signal but it still did not do anything to help the inclusion issues.

1 Like

Well, I did have to put the hub on a long Ethernet cable about 3 feet from each lock when I did the pairing (and node repair after I moved the hub back) because the locks apparently go into a low power transmit mode when pairing to minimize the opportunity for man-in-the-middle key snooping. The BE469NX only had about 3.5 months battery life, supposedly because of S0 3X packets, so I believe that the S2 pairing of BE469ZP on the C-7 is what produces the one-year battery life.

I am thankful that I am one of those few who hasn’t had trouble with the Schlage locks. If I were starting from scratch, I would probably choose a different lock. However, the house came with a Wink hub and the Schlage locks when we moved in 18 months ago.

it looks like hubitat closed that loophole, SmartStart now pops up a warning "QR code not supported", so you probably don't want to ever unpair that .

When I have more time I'll try adding it as generic zwave device, and put the hubitat in the room closest to the door. but the schlage manual says if the controller it is connected to is non-secure it will have limited functionality, i'm not sure if hubitat will use secure features if I try to pair it as generic z-wave device.

Even my Vera had issues with schlage, after pairing it easily, i moved it to the other end of my house. then Battery issues. I do have zwave devices in between that would act as repeaters, but they are relatively simple light switch, in wall plug devices they didn't have issues being that far away from the vera plus, but they do have a higher power source, the schlage being battery operated needs a more robust strong signal.