Schlage BE469NX connectivity issues / unreliable

Have you contacted Support about your lock issue ?
As was noted earlier In[quote="concan, post:89, topic:10173"]
Bobby discovered that I have other zwave issues which keeps the hub from maintaining a reliable mesh. So I need to get this fixed before I can even think about going into detail with the lock.
[/quote].

I appreciated the help, but does the hub really had to be next to the lock for it to work. With ST a lot of motion detector and button doesn’t always work but the Schlage had never been a problem, seem like the same problem with other. The only problem is with Hubitat, I don’t expect the community to figure out a solution. You would think the developer would fix it with firmware update considering it’s a security item

I had very similar problems with my lock on SmartThings. Since Hubitat and putting a ZEN06 outlet in the same room with it, it's been much better (not perfect but much better).

I have zooz switch all over my house should have more than enough repeater

Getting a 2nd Hubitat fixed my issue. A new C5 is the same cost as 2 Aeotec repeaters (I have 5 repeaters that I bought before getting a 2nd hub exclusively for my locks)

Getting a 2nd Hubitat is the only thing that completely resolved my issue: Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

@liemdam, ANOTHER possible solution is to maybe leave your locks on your ST and link to HE using the HubConnect AP.
Personally I don’t use HubConnect but there are many very happy users linking up Hubs of all sorts.

1 Like

I've had non-stop issues with my Schlage locks and Hubitat as well. I've tried adding numerous repeaters, performing factory resets, z-wave repairs, etc. to no avail. I never had an issue using these same locks with Wink in 2+ years and would love to see some improvements made so this hardware works more reliably with the HE hub.

Same here. Having major issues with my Schlage locks. One is brand new and the other i've only had for 1 year. Worked great for that year with my Wink2.

I have a feeling that what is causing my locks to fail is any-time my mesh needs to be updated (e.g. I added a new z-wave sensor), or when I reboot (or power lost) to my Hub. Those are the two events that so far seem to cause my working locks to completely loose all z-wave communication. :frowning:

I'll give you a third. Whenever I change batteries, it takes a few hours before the locks are controllable. The first time I changed batteries, I thought the locks had stopped working, force-removed one of them from HE, couldn't add that one back etc. - an extremely frustrating process.

Woke up the next morning to discover that the lock I hadn't force-removed worked perfectly again. Since then, I've changed batteries on both locks one more time. This time also the locks were not controlled by HE immediately after changing batteries - I tried thumb-turn locks/unlocks, keypad locks/unlocks - status would not change on the device page, and I couldn't control them from the device page either. Went to bed, woke up the next morning, they were fine.

So at least for my locks, being patient after battery changes is a must.

1 Like

This. I know that video referenced above states this, but this is my best suggestion as well. If you do something new and it breaks (e.g. power goes out, you add a repeater or new z-wave device, you change batteries, etc.), if i manually run z-wave repair, the best bet is to wait 12-24 hours to see if your locks are "back".

Kind of insane, makes we wish Schlage had their Zigbee lock out when I made my two purchases.

I'll echo though that is there something very funky about HE and these locks (maybe secure z-wave) that I did not experience on Wink nor Smart-things with these exact same locks. Come to think of it, my Ring alarm also worked fine with them when I had them paired that way. (and yes, I did a full re-set before changing between these various hubs I've been through).

I have a set of Yale zwave locks and also experience issues with connectivity. My whole house one big zwave mesh as every light switch is an inovelli switch. I also have another repeater by the locks. Every now and then they just drop off for a few hours and then come back on. I get notifications when this happens.

I noticed this kind of behaviour when I upgraded to 2.1.7. Before then it was much better (even without the repeaters) but I haven’t been able to figure out why.

1 Like

That sucks to hear, sorry.
QQ, how are you getting notifications when they drop?

I just experience exactly this about an hour ago:

The original post was from April 2019 so nothing has changed on that issue.

I added 4 Aeotec repeaters about a month ago but I've been questioning whether or not they made a difference. So I removed two of them (including the one closest to the hub) and I've seen zero difference. I will leave the other two in place for now. I don't know if they're really helping in my situation as I have dozens of z-wave repeating devices spread out across the house.

Out of 6 locks, 4 are BE469 and they are probably the most well behaved of the group. 1 FE599 and 1 Kwikset 910 are perpetual problems. I think the FE599 has routing issues ... it'll find it's way to the hub periodically and I can control it for a short period of time. Usually after a hub reboot.

The 910 seems to be more of a driver issue ... it will hang up when a BE469 that is about 6 feet away in the same room has no issues.

It is difficult to trust the state of a lock in Hubitat ... i can remotely lock/unlock one of the locks but the tile will show an hourglass and not update to the correct state.

You've heard it before, "my locks were no problem at all under wink!" .(or smartthings, etc. :slight_smile: ).. I'm going to continue trying to troubleshoot and improve my mesh, but eventually my concerns over security will force me to move these locks back to wink if they can't be reliable under Hubitat. I really hope this is a huge priority for Hubitat, because it's a big stumbling block for new users.

I personally wouldn't spend much more time on building up the mesh for this issue as it won't solve it, been down this road for a while now.

At least for Schlage locks the solution seems to be from another post from @craigspree Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable which is to add a separate hub ($74.95) next to each lock. Can verify this has also worked for me

If you don't have lan cable access you can also add one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YPWORE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $44.53

And while your at it don't risk database corruption from power outages so add one of these also https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OR0V2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $39.95

Tie them together with the HubConnect App

So you can fix the lock problem (at least Schlage) on this platform for an additional $159.43 (per lock)

In your case with 6, I would just put them on a different platform.

Thanks for the feedback ... I agree, if it comes down to that, I'll move it back to Wink ... which creates an entirely new set of problems that I'll post separately.

I wrote a personal app but you can use something like device watchdog to monitor devices that fall off.

I'm in the same boat. So frustrating after going through all the setup and configuration moving from Wink. I don't understand why HE won't address this and find a true fix. I've also purchased the Aeotec repeaters and don't know that they help one bit.

If there's one thing that needs to be 100% reliable in a smart hub system it needs to be controlling locks for obvious reasons, security. Does anyone have any suggestions for something better than Hubitat?

It's apparent at this point they aren't going to fix the issue or even admit it's an issue so I'm ready to start looking at new solutions. Any input would be appreciated.

1 Like

Sorry for the troubles. We completely understand your frustration and we are aware that some users have problems with specific firmware on some of Schlage locks. As mentioned in your other thread, at this point, there isn’t much we can do to help, but our engineers will continue to investigate and improve, where possible, the problems with some of these legacy devices. If you have any other problems with your hub, please don’t hesitate to reach out, we are here to help.

What is being done to investigate and improve the issue? Has the engineering team tested Schlage locks with the reported "troubled" firmware versions? Honestly if one thing NEEDS to work with a smart hub system it has to be anything related to security which starts with locks.