Schlage BE469 install experience and issues

HI Danabw,

My setup is as follows
Hubitat to Door lock = 15ft
Hubitat <> Wall <> 90degree wall <> AC Split system <> Wall <> Door Lock

After initially setting up the Hubitat at close range, I moved the hub back to the original position. so I am going through 3 walls, (2 interior and 1 exterior now interior wall due to house extension). So I can say the signal strength is good. Have not had any issues other than properly setting it up in Hubitat for the first time.

I may contact Schlage to get a replacement for the plus version as I had been having a small glitch with the auto lock feature... it has not functioned 4 times now in the past week.

Next step, tackle on 2Gig/Alarm.com Z-Wave connection to Hubitat so I can read my house door and window sensors and send them to Hubitat if possible.

1 Like

I contacted Schlage support. As soon as you mention Hubitat they suddenly go into ā€œoh them againā€ mode.

I had to explain that HE support helped me to diagnose that the zwave radio in my non-plus lock stopped responding to zwave requests from the hub and in HE supports opinion the zwave radio on the lock was ā€œlocking upā€.

It worked. I received my zwave plus version this week.

Anyone want to buy a lock? I already replaced mine with an Alfred DB2-B.

1 Like

I might be interested, as I have an old BE468 from 2.5 years ago and would like to upgrade it to the Z-wave plus version.

Think their support would help me out, or am I past their warranty?

They have a three year warranty on the electronics so give it a shot. Even if you are just over they may help you out. There should be a date code on your sticker. They did not ask me for proof of purchase. I donā€™t know if I registered with them or not originally. I canā€™t remember doing so.

2 Likes

Surprisingly, after 2 weeks of use, I have not had any issues related to Z-Wave communications. When someone unlocks the door, I trigger an announcement to Echo when opened. so far, the Schlage lock is going through 2 walls plus 1 wall the length of the Hubitat and door. No repeaters inbetween. Albite, I am still waiting for my repeater 7 to arrive as this was the recommendations.

1 Like

How much?

First itā€™s a BE469ZP cen 619 satin nickel.

$125US plus shipping from Canada.

I have it listed here if you would like to see pics. Of course I am fishing at $200 CDN :wink:

Keep :fishing_pole_and_fish:... I will bite when Canadian Tire has it on 30-50% sale... yeah I am a cheap :canada: bastard :slight_smile:

1 Like

I said $125 US. That $160 CDN and that I was fishing @ $200

CTC has them regular for $300. Even at 50% off it $150 + tax = $170 and you know it will be more like 30%, not 50%

$160 is a good price.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/schlage-sense-smart-electronic-deadbolt-century-satin-nickel-0467875p.0467875.html

1 Like

Well the style is not good for our house so I will pass.

My Hubitat is version (correction C-5). I've had 2 Schlage BE469, FW 0.8.0 for a couple years, working fine. I had a rule to send me a text when battery on either was below 15%, and that worked. Then they both quit updating battery status. They show 99% or 100% even when nearly dead.
I hadn't read this thread yet to know I could update the "guts" from EBay, so I bought a returned Schlage Z-Wave Plus from Amazon for a decent price. FW 0.11.0. I was hoping this would report battery life correctly.
However, when I added it to the network, it shows up as a generic type 1 device, not a Schlage lock. I used the drop-down list to define it as a Schlage BE469, and it works properly this way, except it doesn't report battery level at all.
I'm guessing the Hubitat didn't detect it and add it as a Schlage lock because it's no longer on the supported device list. Is that right? And is that why I lost battery reporting? It's not available with the generic lock driver? Is there something I could do to get battery level reporting working on any of these?
Now that I've read this thread, I guess the next time I update locks I'll get something else. Thanks

1 Like

It might work with the Generic ZWave Lock driver which does have battery reporting.

You have a bad pairing or (perhaps, unlikely) a weak mesh. I have a C-7 now running 2.2.4.158, and I have 2 BE469ZP locks. One has 0.11.0 firmware, one has 0.10.9. Both paired and were detected for the built-in ā€œSchlage BE468/BE469 Lockā€ driver. Both report the battery correctly. Both work perfectly. Both have Ring Alarm Range Extender v2 devices about 5 feet away.

Screenshot

Are you using lithium batteries? I've noticed with lithium they go from 100 to poof no reports sometimes. Just a thought.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

• The generic z-wave lock driver gave me battery reporting and all other functions I need, so I'm using that.
  • I have an Aeotec extender a few feet from the lock. I tried factory reset, several pairing attempts, then took it off the door and put it right by the hub for pairing. All came up as Device 1. I excluded then included one of my existing locks, and it came up as Schlage. After manually selecting Schlage lock, it seems like I should still get all functions, including battery report. Choosing generic lock worked that way.
  • I'm not using Lithium batteries, but the suggestion is good: I have a decent pulse-load battery tester. I'll see how healthy the batteries are at the moment. I wonder if lock makers read the voltage while the motor is running (high load), or when nothing is happening (low load). It's hard to assess battery status with no load.
1 Like

Well, I gave an existence proof screenshot above showing that battery status does report on my two BE469ZP locks. Battery status was also reported when the locks had BE469NX electronics, prior to swapping out those electronics.

Never heard of that Hubitat version, so I canā€™t guess why your locks donā€™t report battery status. I donā€™t see that you have reported the firmware you are running, perhaps that is the issue.

My Schlage locks (previously, both BE469NX, now, both BE469ZP) have always reported battery status on every firmware version for the C-5 beginning May 2020, when I got my C-5 and moved from Wink, and on every firmware version for my C-7 since I got it in August and moved everything over in September, now running 2.2.4.158.

It's a typo - there are only 5 and 7 hub versions.

2 Likes

Yes, I corrected it. It's a C-5, firmware 2.2.4.158

1 Like

I have no doubt it's working for you and others. It works for me on the first 2 locks. I was trying to figure out why this Z-Wave Plus didn't work as expected, but it's doing fine with the Generic Z-Wave driver so I'm ok with that. Thanks for your input.

Ok. Does your pairing (cluster info) match mine? Thatā€™s what determines battery reporting. Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve got:

Thereā€™s got to be a reason you arenā€™t seeing battery status. The driver does work with your configuration if the mesh is good.