Schlage BE469 install experience and issues

Hello all,

First time owner of a Smart Home device and after great research, went with Hubitat for the Local only access. So far, there is a learning curve for ZWave productions.

My first install was to get my Schlage BE469 connected. It would hang a lot and not finish initializing. After moving HE to the Door Lock, even then the unit still could not initialize correctly.

Ran remove and install procedures and resets multiple times over but still failed. Eventually, I grabbed a new set of batteries and tried again. Low and behold, the system worked beautifully and paired with HE. Therefore, remember to use fresh batteries when pairing to ensure no issues.

After confirming unlock and lock works, I triggered setting the Code Length to 8 and then installed the Lock Code Manager. I started to add users into the list but this started to fail... Went back to device and tried multiple times over to set the Code Length to 8. Said it was set to 8 but LCM still fails. Went to door to manually set the Code Length to 8 then *adding users (*it) worked via LCM.

I went back to HE device door lock and tried each button available to me. Please someone else confirm if you have the same issues.

• Configure = Does Nothing
  • Get Codes = Does Nothing
  • Lock = Works
  • Set Code = Works (ONLY if PIN Code Length Matches Code Length that was manually set in lock and equally set in Set Code Length)
  • Unlock = Works
  • Set Code Length = ONLY works locally. Does not set the Code Length in the Lock. Had to manually program it in the lock first then here.

Takeaways for Schlage BE469 for troubleshooting

• Install Fresh Batteries when Pairing
  • Full Factory Reset to the Door Lock
  • Manually program on the lock the Code Length to 8. check manual.
  • Not all lock functions can be programmed via HE yet. Can we add these features in?

My Device Details Data is

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 128
  • deviceId: 20548
  • deviceType: 25409
  • manufacturer: 59
  • inClusters: 0x22,0x72,0x7A,0x98,0x86
  • secureInClusters: 0x5D,0x85,0x20,0x80,0x70,0x62,0x71,0x63

Z-Wave Radio Devices

Node Stats Status Clusters Device Security Route

0x07 (007) PER: 0, RTT Avg: 242ms, LWR RSSI: 22dB
Neighbors: 1, Route Changes: 155 OKRepair in: 0x22, 0x72, 0x7A, 0x98, 0x86, out: Front Door Schlage S0 01 -> 07 40kbps

Personally, I would like most features to be able to program remotely. Additionally, can people confirm if their configure and get codes works in the Device page?

Features I would love to see to be added for ease of functionality and querying are:

• Vacation Mode
  • Lock & Leave
  • Lock Specific Alarm Mode
  • Lock Specific Alarm Alert Sensitivity
  • Lock Specific Alarm Tamper Sensitivity
  • Lock Specific Alarm Kick Sensitivity
  • Lock Specific Alarm Disable
  • Get Electronic Transition Count
  • Get Mechanical Transition Count
  • Get Electronic Failed Count
  • Auto Lock
  • User Code PIN Length
  • Get Electrical High Preload Transition Count
  • Get Bootloader Version

Z-Wave Association and Configuration Parameters for BE469

1 Like

Welcome to the Hubitat community!

Which model BE469 do you have? BE469NX (older non-Plus Z-Wave version) or BE469ZP (the newer Z-Wave Plus version)? This info is important if you ask about the Schlage lock in the forum.

From the information you posted, it appears you have a BE469NX because inClusters does not have 0x5E, which all Z-Wave Plus devices will have.

For this reason, a screenshot is better than copy/paste or typing.

Make SURE you have a good beaming repeater next to the lock because it is a sleepy FLIRS device, and you will have problems (unreliable communication) with the lock if you don’t. Been there, done that.

You can forget about features being added to the driver. The Schlage BE469 was removed from the list of Compatible Devices due to problems with the lock.

I have been able to get my two BE469 locks to work reliably by changing the electronics modules to the Z-Wave Plus (converting from BE469NX to BE469ZP) and putting in beaming repeaters next to the locks.

I have two older BE469's working that I moved over from ST. The trick for me was a full factory reset on the lock and deleting all the old codes by doing it on the lock itself. Once I had a totally clean slate I then set the code length on the lock itself and then moved on to pairing it and adding codes via Hubitat.

1 Like

You can use Mike Maxwell’s (@mike.maxwell’s) Z-Wave tool to set any parameters you want:

Just change the driver to Mike’s tool, save the driver, hit configure (as you need to do whenever changing drivers), adjust parameters, change driver back, save driver, hit configure.

1 Like

@672southmain Where did you get the replacement electronics modules? I have 3 older BE469 locks I'd like to upgrade. TIA.

[672southmain]
Welcome to the Hubitat community!
Which model BE469 do you have? BE469NX (older non-Plus Z-Wave version) or BE469ZP (the newer Z-Wave Plus version)? This info is important if you ask about the Schlage lock in the forum.

From the information you posted, it appears you have a BE469NX because inClusters does not have 0x5E, which all Z-Wave Plus devices will have.

Correct. I have the BE469NX model with Firmware MAIN_8.0.

Are there still problems with the BE469ZP as well? If not, will it be considered as a Compatible Device? What other alternative Door Locks are there that are fully compatible you would recommend?

Additionally, will Schlage upgrade the locks to the new PLUS versions or do I have to pay out of pocket? Are they considered manufacturer's defects?

In general, there are very few complaints about zigbee deadbolts and lever locks. There are many examples here of folks using Schlage, Kwikset/Weiser, and Yale zigbee deadbolts. And Kwikset and Yale zigbee lever locks.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the BE469ZP is fully compatible. I was getting about 3 month battery life with the BE469NX. It fell off the mesh about once a week (fixed each time by unplugging and plugging the battery pack and cycling the lock manually so it sent status to the hub, no need to exclude/include). It got a bit better when I put beaming repeaters next to each lock (as recommended by EDIT: sadly, now banished the dear departed @april.brandt). Since converting to BE469ZP, they have been completely solid (beaming repeaters still there), and it looks like battery life will now be over a year. Batteries are at 98% after 5 months.

Batteries Dashboard Screenshot

I suggest that you search the forums for recommendations on locks. There are plenty of discussions. I am very happy with my BE469ZP locks now.

Nope, out of pocket. See my next post, which I am composing, about replacing.

1 Like

Ok, found one of my posts that seems to answer your questions:

Here is how to tell the two versions apart (BE469ZP on bottom):

Here is where the door mounting plate sticker is located on a BE469ZP:

The five DSK numbers you need for S2 pairing are in the rectangle.

Edit: in case I wasn’t clear, the modules for all of the Schlage BE469 models (styles, Z-Wave, Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee) are interchangeable. Just unscrew 3 Phillips screws, swap, put screws back.

And realize that eBay is supply and demand. If all of you go there at once to buy these, the price will go up. I may have been one of the first to try this five or six months ago, so the prices were lower - no demand.

1 Like

Ok. The good news is that’s a firmware version after they fixed many of the bugs. I had MAIN_7.1 on my two BE469NX locks that came with our house about 18 months ago, and I understand, from researching these forums, that 7.1 is about the minimum that’s good. You may be OK except for needing beaming repeaters near the locks. Just know, though, that the older S0 security protocol used by the BE469NX uses 3x the packets, which will reduce battery life.

Just a note. I had this model working very well with the C5 for over a year. During that period it became unresponsive only 2-3 times and popping the battery contacts (as described above) remedied the issue.

On the C7 I was having issues every 3-4 days it seemed and it took hours to get it back on each time. I did look for upgrade modules on eBay and I didn’t find anything over a two day period and I wasn’t willing to wait any longer so I replaced the lock.

@aaiyar didn’t list the Alfred lock btw. I could not be happier with my upgrade.

2 Likes

Yeah, it took me about a month to get two. Be careful, some sellers say they are selling a BE469ZP, but really are selling a BE469NX (that’s why I posted pictures from the Schlage website), and some have very early firmware versions. Use PayPal to pay and they are good about forcing a refund from seller if goods aren’t what was advertised. On one of the locks, FedEx lost the package, seller refunded quickly, then FedEx found the package two months later. Seller told me to refuse delivery, and that lock went back to them. So, I actually had to buy 3 lock modules (actually, 1 module and 2 complete locks, from which I only used the module) to get two, but was refunded for the one that was lost and returned to seller.

But, again, I am very happy with them now. They are the main reason I got my C-7 (and migrated from my then five-month old C-5), so that I could pair S2, which the (Edit:) C-5 can’t do.

I must say, though, the C-7 cost is, in my opinion, worth it just for the spiffy Device Firmware Updater app and the user-contributed Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details app by Tony Fleisher (@tony.fleisher). Very nice.

1 Like

I installed it two days ago. Very cool. Especially to see what devices are being used as repeaters. No more getting to the bottom of the list and then having to figure out what device 0x18 is that's being used as a repeater for for device 0x3d

1 Like

Yep. In my opinion, Hubitat Package Manager by Dominic Meglio (@dman2306) and Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details by Tony Fleisher (@tony.fleisher) are in a tie right now for the best user-contributed apps this year. Both excellent!

2 Likes

Since converting to BE469ZP, they have been completely solid (beaming repeaters still there), and it looks like battery life will now be over a year. Batteries are at 98% after 5 months.

So in Hubitat going to certify this lock? Any outstanding issues making it not 100% compatible?

Not sure what you mean by certify.

It was previously on the supported device list, but it was removed due to issues with the lock. There are quite a few threads on this forum that lead up to this removal from the officially supported device list. In short, the lock works great for some, and bad for others. No particular reason has been found for this, but it is suspected that the lock firmware is the most likely cause. And that firmware is not able to be updated, or maybe more accurately Schlage does not provide firmware updates.

3 Likes

Well, also a weak mesh, and the need to have a beaming repeater near the lock. I am happy with mine, but it took a bit to get there.

Here is the Schlage Warranty (3 years on electronics).

If you search the forum, you will see that some have contacted Schlage support about problems and were sent a replacement lock. Some were sent a BE469ZP (Z-Wave Plus) in replacement of a BE469NX (non-Plus) because the BE469NX is no longer in stock.

Schlage has excellent support.

2 Likes

@rk514ml - Glad you got your lock up and running, good post.

FWIW, I've had my BE469NX (non-plus) lock installed w/Hubitat for almost a year now and have had zero issues w/diconnections of any types, automations run w/out problems. Same under SmartThings - zero issues for over 3 years.

I paired the lock w/ST and w/HE w/the hub by the lock. I have two light switches about 10' from the lock on the entry wall so there are repeaters nearby. However, it connects directly to my Hubitat hub (about 12' -15' away through a wall). On ST the hub was about 35'-40' away through two walls.

So these non-plus locks can work fine, depending on your mesh and types of walls, other devices, etc., etc. Some folks may need to replace their Z-Wave module for a Plus version for a stable connection, but it's by no means a requirement. YMMV...

2 Likes

I contacted Schlage after reading your post. I thought there was only a two year warranty. The date code on my lock is 021618. Talk about cutting it close.

New replacement delivery is one week.

Of course I will not replace my shiny new Alfred DB2-B but now I can recover a large portion of my costs.

2 Likes

Allegion support (Schlage) are really good. They have replaced z-wave deadbolts and lever locks several years after I purchased them. For example, I had an FE599, purchased in October 2014, replaced in early 2019 ......

2 Likes