Schlage BE469 extreme battery drain

No but now I wish I had. I got the less expensive Peanut plugs. :grimacing:

Ah..I killed 2 birds with one stone. Luckily I got a bunch of them when they went on sale at Lowe's. 10 bucks a pop.

I personally swear by the Aeotec range extender 6's (although it took 4 of them to fix everything) I can now even pair IN PLACE both of the locks I once had numerous problems with.

Sadly, I was solely in the camp of "I would never buy those because they don't perform any other function than a repeater that all main powered devices already do" Camp and I already had 23 of the mains powered repeaters so I didn't think it would change anything......needless to say the claim of "amplifying" the zwave signal is highly UNDER rated, these work great!

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. "Pairing in place" sold me. :grin: I just got a couple off of eBay $21 each including shipping. Hopefully this can solve my Schlage headaches.

That's a great price......cheaper than any of the 4 I got

It may take more than 2 though just an FYI.....I started with one and each one I added I noticed significant improvements, but it wasn't completely great with the pairing in place until I added more then the first 2......just keep that in mind.

You should though see improvement with those two. Put one within 5 feet of the hub, and the other close to the lock. And run a zwave repair after pairing each extender.

1 Like

Also I need to mention, the "exclude" part still has to have the hub right next to the lock. Inclusion (pairing) I was able to do in place with the extenders.....with a few preconditions at which I will show the pre-pairing process with the 2 posts in this thread. Schlage Connect Camelot Pairing Issue

2 Likes

Since I put an Aeotec range extender in the network next to the lock (there is a GE Zwave Pro switch there already as well), and the driver change that happened in Hubitat, I now get consistent polling of battery levels, and the battery drop has minimized it seems. I am still tracking it, but I am seeing 2% a week right now. We'll see if it drops off the face of the earth again in a week or so, but so far it seems much more consistent.

Since the driver change and the range extender happened at the same time I am unsure which fixed it but I believe it is a team effort.

1 Like

That's a good way to put it. I think the driver change makes the lock respond to commands reliably. The range extender ensures the commands reach the lock (so it doesn't fall off the z-wave network) and also improves battery life.

2 Likes

I would bet (and hope) this turns out to be a communication issue and will be fixed by your range extenders.

I have been completely rebuilding my zwave network from scratch (not by choice) and I noticed something odd.....3 days ago when I re-included one of my Schlage locks it had 97% battery, but after I'm about done redoing every device on my mesh 3 days later, (multiple repairs additions/exclusions/etc), I looked at this locks device page and it said it had only 44% remaining.

After investigating (long story short) I accidentally somehow "excluded" the range extender that is next to that lock while trying to add/remove other devices by thinking the exclusion process was over and tapping the extenders button to force wake it up while trying to include other devices. This was 2 days ago, and yesterday I found the mistake and readded the extender back and now the battery level is slowly INCREASING with the same exact batteries in it.

2 1/2 hours ago

1/2 hour ago

Just got my range extenders today. I have them installed and doing a z-wave repair as I type. I will provide an update after a couple weeks of runtime.

Couple questions when using the range extender specifically for the Schlage locks; I noticed this extender can be normal paired or secured paired when adding it to HE hub. Do I have pair it as a secure extender for it to work properly for the Schlage which I believe is secure paired?

From the manual: Press the Z-Wave Button 2 times within 1 second and its LED will blink blue (which indicates secure pairing).

How many z-wave repairs is recommended? If I remember from my old ST days I thought a couple was necessary but maybe with HE it is different.

No, there is no need to do that.

1 Like

As Mike said No.

If fact I would highly recommend absolutely don't do that.

I just reset/rebuilt my entire zwave network twice (first time wasn't by choice) but the first time I tried having my zwave details page set to "All Secure Zwave" on the secure join setting and starting repairing all the devices securely. After a few days I began having multiple issues with devices not responding, even mysteriously had a couple devices completely disappear from my network and had to be repaired. also when doing the zwave repairs I notice the "X room extender is active"
zwave

Missing from the logs....after a few days it didn't get better it got worse.....so I removed everything reset the zwave radio again, and repaired everything NON securely with the zwave details set to secure join to Locks and Garage Doors .....been great every since.

2 Likes

It's been a week and the front door Schlage still has battery issues again. I am looking at the Hubitat device page and it shows the battery level at 100% ? So apparently it is not reporting?

but I am definitely getting the low battery status warnings (the keypad beeps 5 times along with the amber light flashing every time I use the keypad. Typically I will get the alarm warnings and within a day the keypad goes dead.

I will try another z-wave repair to see if the new Aeotec range extender can get "locked" in better no pun intended, ;-). I also see now in the manual the Aeotec has a "Testing Health Connectivity" function. I will try that when I get home as well.

I do have a Monoprice hardwired zwave device in the wall switch within a foot of the front door which I installed years ago to provide strong signal mesh to my Schlage. I then installed the new Aeotec range extenders to hopefully improve the situation but after this first week of testing it isn't looking so good.