Scents and Scenes

I was wondering if anyone has considered using something like a Zooz power strip and load different scented "Air Fresheners" like the Glade Plugins to each outlet. You could then trigger different scents as part of a scene. Maybe something like pine trees or Cinnamon in the morning, summer-hey-fever in the afternoon, and I don't know new car smell in the evening? Scents aren't really my thing and my wife's asthma pretty much ends house level scents for me, but I can't help but wonder...

Nope, won't consider them. They are an allergy sufferers worst nightmare. I can't even go down that aisle in the grocery store.

You probably could automate them, but I never have understood purposely polluting the indoor air with VOC's and so on.

I've thought about something similar with an essential oil diffuser, but you'd need to have quite a few lined up on a Zooz power strip or similar to make that work, :laughing: The problem there is finding a "dumb" enough one without a soft power button that defaults to off so you could actually use a smart outlet to turn it on (or off). Last time I saw a Glade plug-in, it was "dumb" like that, so I imagine you could do it if you really wanted (as long as adjacent modules don't warm up of the "off" ones enough to diffuse that scent too, I guess). Can't speak from experience, though.

I confess I don't have much experience with any of these. I was thinking about environment control and all that could entail and realized scent is often used to define a mood or area in commercial spaces, so why not at home? My wife has asthma so I might never give this a try but was curious if anyone else has experience in this area, so thank you for the diffuser insight.