Salt and Pepper: Turn static-white bulbs into color temperature devices!

Salt and Pepper!

I'm back! It's been a while...

This app is being released as a glance of something I'll be releasing down the road.

Wait... what's a ... Salt and Pepper??

As some of you may know—I work in commercial film production. That's where I learned the term, Salt and Pepper, in this context. Now, I'm not sure if it's a standard term or not (I can't find anything on Google to reference), but I've heard the term when referencing Kino lights especially—since they come in different color temperature tubes.

Salt and Pepper is an effect that creates a range of color temperatures from different light sources, blended together

Think about it like this: On an LED strip, there's warm white LEDs, and cold white LEDs ... the two LED sets mix together.

When you set your color temperature to Warm White, the Cold White LEDs are off—and conversely, when you set your color temperature to Cold White, the Warm LEDs will be off.

TL;DR:

Salt and Pepper is an app that lets you mix color temperatures from different, fixed-CT lights, to create a range of color temperatures!

Installation:

1. Simply install the following three files:
    A. Driver
    B. Parent App
    C. Child App
  2. On your Hub, select Apps, Add user app, Salt and Pepper
  3. Create a new Child app from within the parent app
  4. Label your virtual CT device, add Warm White devices, and Cold White devices. Assign their color temperatures appropriately in their designated fields (to calculate the range of CT your bulbs can achieve).
  5. Hit Done on the child app, and Done on the parent app.
  6. Go into your Devices, and play with your new color temperature device!

Use-cases

1. In my old apartment, there were two overhead fixtures with separate switches in the hallway. Don't ask me why. You could use WW bulbs in one, and CW bulbs in the other, with a Z-Wave dimmer or something, and create whatever CT you desire in that hallway.

2. Or, maybe you have separate ambient white channels in an overhead in your house. Now, you can treat them as if they were one device — as long as each one is hooked up to HE as a dimmer :slight_smile:

3. Maybe you have a bunch of Cree bulbs or plain-white, dimmable, smart bulbs, and want to make them act as CT bulbs! Put two of those in the same fixture (of different CT, of course) and voila! Suddenly, it's a smart, CT/Dimmable bulb!

Let me know if you find anything. :slight_smile: It's good to be back in the saddle, so to speak.

7 Likes

Neat! (and glad you're back)

3 Likes

Glad to finally have more time for this, again :slight_smile:

@april.brandt — How many Cree bulbs do you still have? You should try this out for me :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Have to try this. I am going to be doing a lot of Webex and pre-recorded lectures this Fall, so this will come in handy. Lighting is so hard to get right at home, especially in rooms not intended for this purpose.

1 Like

Download the Hubitat app