S2 Authenticated devices [C7]

That may be true but thankfully we have the ability to update the Z-Wave chipset firmware.

2 Likes

I've got a Ring Gen 2 repeater--and my house simply isn't very large. The farthest point from the hub is no more than 40-50 feet (and, no matter where I put the thing, it doesn't seem to get used). ONE device is using it right now.

This morning, a device 5 feet from the hub through an open door didn't turn on.

Also not happening: a lamp didn't set, another light switch at the end of the hall, and a lock didn't open.

And, while there are comments about "all the things" in that rule, the z-wave actions are spread out over more than 30 seconds.

I could put 20-30 commands out all at the same instant on my ancient ADT Pulse iControl hub--and it never missed a beat.

I'm thinking there's something to SiLabs not having things quite right--but I also am trying to determine if this is related to the S2 security levels.

1 Like

Yeah I've been noticing some flaky behavior on some of my switches as well. I combine behavior via Maker and Node-RED. Some of my previously working sequences no longer work all the time. Seems like either a latency issue or some sort of message storm (repeated messages). Dunno if its the HE or Z-wave chipset firmware. On my main C-4 hub with .148 I've started to have zigbee issues again. My zigbee network went offline, brought it back up and rebooted and everything seems to be okay. Will be migrating Zigbee over to the C-7 at some point OR maybe just put it on a C-5 hub.

1 Like

Actually, I suspect that it's not the chipset itself, but all the rules & regulations a 3rd party manufacturer has to look at when wanting to certify their Z-Wave device.

1 Like

If the device has a 700 series chip it must comply with the Zwave Plus V2 spec:

Any device that does not meet these specs would be legally liable. I would imagine this is strongly enforced by the ZW Alliance or SiLabs but not sure.

1 Like

As Z-Wave has become an an open standard a while ago, I don't think this still applies, if it ever did?

Anyone please feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Certification would be revoked if the standard is not met.

1 Like

Thanks. But I think everyone would be allowed to put a Z-Wave device on the market without needing to certify it before?
The only restriction seems that he's not allowed to print the label on the package/device?

Yep. Many people look for that as a must have.
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3921?selectedFrequencyId=2

Yeah, but I remember having bought my C7 without any certification, also the prior versions seemed to work fine without, or has a certification not been necessary because of the external Z-Wave stick?
Just curious. :wink:

Look at all the problems Hubitat had with devices that didn't work. Many weren't actually functional with the "reference standard" 700 series Z-Wave hub. That allowed the Hubitat folks to push back on the device manufacturers.

Without enforced standards, it's nearly impossible to have good interactions between manufacturers. Things will "silo"and you'll be locked into an essentially proprietary solution.

4 Likes

Here you will always find the truth:

I don’t see how that is possible. The C-7 obtained certification on July 8, 2020, and the announcement of availability was on July 21.

1 Like

While both true, Hubitat's certification was not officially announced until August 14:

So, everyone had one; they just didn't know it yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, maybe things were just overlapping.
Received my EU-unit on August 13 and found that it was not listed in the Z-Wave database yet.
I feel fine even without any labels. :wink:

1 Like

On a side note, as we look to figure out why a switch is slow or unresponsive, I have found the zwave page to be unhelpful at best. I have a hard time believing the route it is reporting and/or speeds. I've already seen a number of times where one route is listed at 40kbps or below and yet the same path with another hop added on to it at the end is at 100kbps.

I added in a bunch of switches throughout the house to improve the mesh and let it sit overnight. When I look at it now, It's reporting a route for a motion detector that used to be direct to the hub (last night but at 40kbps) and I moved right next to another motion detector, as now going in the opposite direction of the motion detector to a switch, outside the house into an area I know is weak, bouncing around there and supposedly then returning.

01 -> 30 -> 39 -> 32 -> 1E -> 06 40kbps

keep in mind the one RIGHT next to it has a route that looks like this:

01 -> 07 100kbps

Actually the first time I've seen a device using all 4 hops. :wink:
Is the MS6 battery-powered?
I have 3 of them mains-powered and found all of them using routes that seemed implausible from time to time.

Did you try to wake up the right device and do a repair for it, to see if he route changes?

Maybe we could try to find some common things we found in our Z-Wave networks?
Here are some of my findings.

1. similar severe problems as described above only started for me after including some FLiRS, some lags used to happen before, too.
  2. i find always the same mains-powered S2-enabled devices stated as "not responding" or more rarely as "failed". What thay have in common is the fact, that each of them is routed directly to HE.
    Intereresting, 4 of them are Aeotec SmartSwitch 7, and the only one I had been not able to catch with such issues is the one routing throug another device.

What I would be curious about, are all routes calculated new, when nodes that are used as routing devices are reported as "not responding"?

Anyone to confirm similar obeservations?

I am in the process of replacing all of my switches to the Inovelli red series switches. I noticed a few of them were paired with no security while all of the other ones paired with S2. Should I try repair the switches until they all show S2? Or does it not really matter?

Depends what build of hub firmware you are running as well as what firmware on the switch. If your running at least 2.2.2.148 hub firmware and the latest switch firmware you should be fine. Prior firmware versions had issues with S2 bootstrapping.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.