S vs None Questions

I have seven zwave switches. All support s2 and are less than 30 days old. 4 Inovelli and 3 Enbrighton. In my zwave devices only one shows as S2 and is an Inovelli Red. All the others show None as the security. When I joined them to my C7 I got the popup asking for S2 checkboxes and I accepted the defaults. How do I convert them to S2 and why didnt they do it initially? Also do I care? If a device shows S2 does that mean older zwave devices will not use them as repeaters? Unclear on the ideal setup.

Rob

You have to exclude, reset device to factory defaults, include.

I don’t know. I didn’t watch you do the include.

Many people, myself included, don’t do secure pairing except on locks and access control devices (door/window sensors, etc) for security. Unless there is no way to avoid it, DO NOT pair S0 - it triples the Z-Wave traffic with the device.

The reason I do it that way is that the community driver Firmware Updater cannot update securely paired devices:

Nope. Repeaters just repeat. Z-Wave is backward compatible.

2 Likes

Very complete answer by @672southmain.

Most of my stuff is S2 capable.
Only my ring extenders are joined with S2
My Schlage is joined S0 because that’s all it supports.
Everything else is non-secure on purpose.

So to answer your question, no I don’t think you should care.

Yea, I forgot that one. My 4 Ring Extender 2 devices are paired S2 because Bryan Copeland reported that was necessary to make them report power fail events. I did and they do.

1 Like

Yup I read that as well and bought them recently and included them first with the C7.

I was actually disappointed at first because nothing was using them as repeaters, but after the first week they started to be used more.

I genuinely wish that there was a way to set routes and make them sticky so that access control devices and certain other devices would stay online to the hub during power fails. Even if I had to use SiLabs software and my Z-Wave USB stick to do it.

1 Like

Hello.
Does this mean that I have to exclude them and re-include them again?

P.S. I'm using the original, community developed (Copeland) driver.

Yes, if you want power fail events to be reported, because you have no security pairing. Use the built-in driver, though, which also was written by Bryan Copeland, and which used his earlier community driver as a starting point when he joined Hubitat staff. Bryan has stopped maintaining his community drivers due to time constraints.

In another thread, I recently posted my rules for using them to notify on power fail. See the comments in my rules:

What would be the best method to revert to no security? I just put in about 20 devices, but will be putting in more.

Would exlcude/include do it? Would device then have to be rebooted to default before re-including? How about "Remove" device". Reset Z-Wave radio?

I guess my apps would be shot as well, no? As well as the dashboard.

Oh, well, maybe I'll try incrementally and see how it goes.

The security is set during include. For each device, you would need to Remove (exclude), reset device to factory defaults, include with no security.

To avoid breaking all your rules and automations, etc, the best way, as put forward by Ashok (@aaiyar) is to first create a placeholder virtual device. Then, before removing the real device for which security is to be changed, go to the bottom of the device’s page, note each “in use by” item, click on that item, substitute the new virtual device (be sure to Done out on everything), then repeat until there are no more “in use by items”. Then do the remove, reset the device, include it again. Now, go to the virtual device’s page, swap out all “in use by” items with the real device. This way, none of the rules and automations get broken. Basically, the virtual device acts as a placeholder while you exclude/include the real device.

Repeat for all devices on which you want to change security.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Someone else (maybe @TechMedX) posted a much better way of doing this.

Create a group device for every physical device. Use only the group devices in all automations. It makes it very easy to replace one physical device with another - rules and automations don't need to be edited (outside of changing the group setup).

8 Likes

Clever!

What was the purpose? Why not pair S2?

I'm having some issue with distance. device on the edge of my network (that worked well on C4) are now responsive. Most notably is a Zen16 at the end of my driveway. It is paired S2 and work 40% of the time now when it was solid before. I also added a switch between there and the house thinking it would help, but it has not.

I was starting to wonder if pairing it non-secure would help. My locks are Zigbee so not sure I need S2 Z-wave is mostly just my landscape lighting and 1 contact sensor which is also not working well anymore.

Anyone else seen distance issue with S2 pairing, or the 700 series chip?

A couple reasons:

1. KISS principle - any type of security is going to add more overhead.
  2. some of the drivers that i am using like @bcopeland zen21/22/26/27 do not support S2
  3. Early on, you could not use the zwave FW updater if S2 was enabled
  4. I do not see a huge vulnerability, and if I am compromised, someone could start playing with my lights before I shut them down.
  5. earlier HE SW had a # of issues related to S2

I don't know - my views may change over time.

2 Likes