Rule5.1 and Get Problem

I created a rule using ver 2.5 some time ago using a get request to ifttt webhook to record temperature data on a google spreadsheet and it still performs flawlessly. Needing to record additional temperature data, rule 5.1 was created which basically cloned the working rule 2.5. It is a complete failure even after spending several hours unsuccesfully trying to solve the problem. I'm now admitting defeat and hoping someone can embarass me by pointing out what was foolishly left out or a goofy syntax error.
System is C5 running 2.3.0.120. Following are a bunch of screen clips which I hope provides enough information for our resident experts to provide a clue as to what is the flaw in my efforts.
Many thanks to all who contribute to this fantastic community.

Before taking the plunge to help you dissect what's what, may I first offer this alternative method for sending values directly from Hubitat over to Google Sheets, in case you were looking to take IFTTT and Webhooks out of the equation:
HOW-TO Store data in Google Sheets directly from RM5

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and suggestion to use the form method to insert data into google spreadsheet from RM5. I followed your instructions and now have a working RM5 rule which inserts my data into a google spreadsheet.
The instructions were not hard to follow but there there are a couple of things which deviated slightly from your instructions.

[Click SETTINGS and choose "Save Responses to > New Spreadsheet" (it will be automatically created in Google Drive).]
Instead I had to click on Responses and click on green SS symbol to create a spreadsheet.
Also be sure "Accepting responses" slider is set to on or data will not be logged.
Copy Field Names
I could not copy field name, only copy value was allowed so manually copied to text editor.
I am sure the deviations were because google modified the form application after you originally created the tutorial.
Again, many thanks for your post on this topic, I am certain that many will take advantage of your tutorial to log their data.

I would still like to find out why the get request does not appear to work from RM5. As I stated previously a similar get request is working from RM2.5. I am an Ifttt Pro account so should not be limited in any way.
The applet can be triggered from from their webhooks documentation page where they provide a means to fill in the fields and then click on test button. The data is then posted to the spreadsheet correctly.

If you or anyone else have any suggestions or have successfully used get request in RM5 to log data to google spreadsheet then your comment would be much appreciated.
The google form method works and is an elegant solution. I just hate to give up on something that should work.

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone ahead and updated those key points of my tutorial where your experience differed from mine. Now, lemme go peek at your WH workflow.

Your old rule seems to use local variables, where RM5 expects Hub Variables, if my eyes do not deceive me. Have you created corresponding variables AtticTemp1, AtticTemp2, etc. somewhere on Hubitat?

In Rule Machine Legacy global variables are created within the Rule Machine app, whereas in the recent releases of HE they are created within the Settings app.

DenTemp01 is a global variable.

This is current version of rule - still does not trigger ifttt applet.

Try delineating your variable substitutions with % characters instead of curly braces?

2 Likes

The % delineation for variable worked!!
Thank you LibraSun, I will sleep easy tonight :smiley:
You would think that subtle difference would be documented somewhere and maybe it is and I just don't know where to look.

2 Likes

Yay! Dunno about docs, cuz I'm new here and have only ever used RM5.x -- but this points to the fact that Hubitat's documentation system is woefully (I'm being kind) underdeveloped.

Some of the actions mention it on screen, I think it is typically for notifications and alike. If it doesn't mention the way to refer to variables when setting up the HTTP Get, then it might be worth suggesting it...

1 Like