Rule trigger with delay question / issue

I am trying to create a rule that turns on my roof heat if it starts snowing for 10 min or more and turns it off 2 hours after it stops snowing. I have created 2 rules, one that simply tracks the changes to open weather icons and sets a global variable to true or false when the icon changes to or away from a snow icon. I then have a rule that then says "turn on roof heat if isSnowing = True and stays that way for 10 min and turn off roof heat if isSnowing = False and stays that way for 2 hours" . However, per my logs, it is turning on and off in <2 hours. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

You cannot use the "stays" option in triggers for two different values for the same variable in the same rule (it doesn't have a way to track them separately). You will need to split them into separate rules, or use another approach like "Wait for event" (though I'm not sure off the top of my head if that works with hub variables...) inside your actions for the other half of this automation.

Also, for troubleshooting rules, logs from the app are generally the clearest picture. If you have problems, I'd start there, not device events. See: How to Troubleshoot Apps or Devices | Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

Super helpful, I will split them up, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.