Rule Machine Weather Underground

With the latest version we now have some access to the Weather Underground API. Are there any examples of using this within Rule Machine?

1 Like

Rule Machine doesn’t have any hooks into weather. Perhaps it should?

1 Like

Got it. So in order to use the outside weather to help drive when my house fan, etc are on or off, I need to code a new app using the API. It would be really nice if you could put in at least a current temp for comparison sake.

There is a driver called "WeatherUnderground" but I haven't seen any documentation on how to use it. Once setup Rule Machine could use an attribute from that device correct? Could examples be posted on how to setup a working WeatherUnderground virtual device?

Rule Machine allows you to control any device through Custom Commands. But it doesn’t allow any sensor as a condition, only the coded ones. Presumably the use would be as a “sensor” for a condition in RM.

Yes this would allow me to emulate my ST stuff. Lights turn on at certain levels based on lux, fans turn on/off at certain temps/humidities. Alerts are sent based on temp/humidity. Etc.

I use the ST weather tile for similar thing. The weather underground driver doesn't seem to work with the API access right now.

Just bumping this as I would like to use 'solarradiation' as a lux reading.
Are there any plans to enable this?

I can see the readings using the 'weatherndergroundcustom' DH but cannot get the info to write into a variable in webCoRE.

Just bumping this again in case someone has found a solution to this.

I've added a weather device using the custom ApiXU Weather Driver.

I'd like to include some of the states from this device as condition(s) to control other devices and/or provide notifications.

For instance, I'd like to receive a notification if I've left any windows open and it's raining. More importantly I have a gutter warming system to prevent ice dams. I'd like to turn it on/off automatically if it's snowing and within a certain temperature range. The precipitation information (using condition code/description) would be useful to me.

1 Like