Rule Machine vs IFTTT

I have yet to invest in a HE. Part of my evaluation is understanding the breath of the Rule Machine. I use IFTTT with my devices which are all wifi. I am surprised to see HE integration with HE. I would have thought the Rule Machine would eliminate the need for IFTTT. Can someone help me understand the need that IFTTT integration meets & why the Rule Machine alone can't meet that need.

Rule Machine and IFTTT are not competition in anyway with each other, they serve two completely different purposes.

Rule Machine is localized completely customizable automation.
IFTTT you cannot create "your own" automation you can only select from the applets IFTTT provides.
IFTTT integration is mainly intended for connecting cloud devices to Hubitat's localized platform.

2 Likes

What are you saying here ??

There is no REQUIREMENT to use IFTTT.
You can choose to do so or not.

1 Like

Some devices might only speak IFTT, so hence the IFTT<>HE Integration if you happen to own one of them and want to include it in your HE . . .

Also, bear in mind that IFTTT stands for "if this then that". Hubitat allows you to do "if this and this but not that, then do this and that and the other". And in fact a lot more. And all locally without cloud delays and possible security concerns. However IFTTT does have a predigeous range of integrations and so comes in handy for HE to work with those systems/devices where a direct integration doesn't exist.

5 Likes

I look at IFTTT as a last resort to allow me to integrate with services that otherwise do not allow integration. For example, when I change to an armed mode in HE, I use IFTTT to arm my Blink cameras. Not because I want to do it that way, but I don't know of another.

1 Like

Thanks for all the helpful and nuanced responses. I better understand the role of the Rule Machine & IFTTT integration.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.