Rule machine thermostat

I found 2 features requests today trying to control my bedroom heater:

1. Can we have it so when we select temperature as the condition, we can have it be able to be relative to a temperature setpoint?
  2. If we use temperature or temperature setpoint as the condition, can we have it run the rule if the device it is relative changes? Right now it only seems to run against the primary condition.

Thanks!

Just add the relative device as a condition, one that you don't use in the rule if you don't need to. It will be evaluated on any condition event. E.g., Motion-0.25 > 0

Will look into this one.

Since you can use a temperature measurement device as the device relative to a Thermostat Setpoint, you already have this feature. You are using it in the rule you show. So I don't understand why you need this request. The comparison is the comparison, doesn't matter which device is on the left and which is on the right. If the issue is getting to rule to evaluate upon a change in the temperature sensor, as I pointed out above, just include the temperature sensor in its own condition. Not every condition has to be in the rule, but every condition will cause evaluation of the rule.

I did that to make it run, so that is fine. It would be cleaner to not do that. That is why I put this under feature request.

Since you can use a temperature measurement device as the device relative to a Thermostat Setpoint, you already have this feature. You are using it in the rule you show. So I don't understand why you need this request. The comparison is the comparison, doesn't matter which device is on the left and which is on the right. If the issue is getting to rule to evaluate upon a change in the temperature sensor, as I pointed out above, just include the temperature sensor in its own condition. Not every condition has to be in the rule, but every condition will cause evaluation of the rule.

Your right it doesn't, but the logic limits me to looking at a window around the motion temperature vs the window around the desired temperature. One is easier for me to visualize, one is not. That is why it is a feature request.

If I don't ask, the answer is no.

The app would be a heck of a lot less clean with an extra redundant choice. So, thanks for asking, and the answer is no.

Can we add the relative device as an event that would call the rule to be run?

I just explained that you simply add that as a condition. Not every rule is going to want to be fired that way. Simple enough to add a condition, isn't it?

The rule would be a heck of a lot cleaner without an extra condition.

But I'll drop my request.

It does subscribe to the 'relative' device. It's just that there is a bug about the relative device being a temperature sensor. Fixed in next release.

Thanks!

I’m trying to use cooling mode on a pearl thermostat to control a window air conditioner on a smart plug. I know how to set it so it come on and off at a certain temperature but I want to be able to lower or raise that temperature on the thermostat itself and have it turn on or off the window air conditioner. Using rule machine.

Can you restate what you are looking for?
It sounds like you want automated control of the cooling setpoint of the thermostat. If that is the case, what is the feedback sensor that you want to control it with?

My setup right now is that I have a pearl thermostat controlling a smart plug in which a window air conditioner is plugged into. I use rule machine to have the air come on at 72 degrees or above and back off under 72. That works most the time but say I come in from outside chores that same 72 takes me awhile to cool myself down. I would like to figure out a way for moments like that that I can walk to the thermostat and and lower the thermostat to say 68 and the air conditioner now comes on and back off to keep it at whatever temperature I set the thermostat for.

Are you controlling off a comparison to the thermostat temperature or the thermostat operating state?

If you control off of the operating state, you should get what you want.

Thermostat operating state I guess it would be. I am not using any other devices for temp comparisons.

I’m not even sure it’s possible for me to manually turn up or down the cooling set point on the thermostat and have the window air conditioner keep the temperature at that setting but that’s what I’m trying to do in rule machine and I can’t figure it out. I can tell Alexa to turn the air conditioner on after it shuts off at 72 degrees but then it will just keep cooling and not shut off at a set point that’s manually entered on the thermostat itself

Actually I think your right and I have it working. I’ll try it out and see how it goes. Thank you